Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Reason in Revolt - Marxist Philosophy and Modern Science

1. Apr 15, 2004 #1
    http://www.marxist.com/rircontents.asp

This book analyses how modern science and dialectics are interconnected, why nature works dialectically etc. When I first read the book, I was really astonished by dialecticalm materialism. If you never heard anything about dialectical materialism, it doesn´t matter, the book explains it so a six years old child understands it.

I´m a new membmer here, but I´ve seen there were some long debates on time travel, logic, mathematics and other stuff on the boards. This is exactly what book deals with. So maybe you would be intereted to read it. You can read it for free on the link posted above, or buy it (also on the link posted above :D)...

Contents:

In Memory of Hannes Alfven

Part One: Reason and Unreason

Introduction

Philosophy and Religion

Dialectical Materialism

Formal Logic and Dialectics

Part Two: Time, Space and Motion

Revolution in Physics

Uncertainty and Idealism

Relativity Theory

The Arrow of Time

The Big Bang

Part Three: Life, Mind and Matter

The Dialectics of Geology

How Life Arose

The Revolutionary Birth of Man

The Genisis of Mind

Marxism and Darwinism

The Selfish Gene?

Part Four: Order Out of Chaos

Does Mathematics Reflect Reality?

Chaos Theory

The Theory of Knowledge

Alienation and the Future of Humanity

yours faithfully,

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 23, 2004 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Marxist Philosophy is a littel passe' now isn't it? :)

When he died, Engels was working on an application of "Dialectal Materialism" to science and mathematics. He published some of it in a paper title "Anti-Duhring" (essentially an attempted rebuttal of another author).

The quality of his science and mathematics can be seen in his criticism that much of mathematics depends on "accidental" properties of the numeration system: That "8" is even in base 10 but odd in base 5! (Apparently just because in base 5 it is written "13". That's NOT the definition of "even" that mathematicians use!)

4. May 8, 2004 #3
    Hey HallsofIvy,

I wouldn´t say he tried to apply Dialectical materialism to science, he rather tried to show how nature is dialectical, but in anti-duhring we don´t have a lot of it, he wrote more about that in Dialectics of Nature.

Reason in Revolt is some kind of modern version of Dialectics of Nature, it tries to explain how nature is dialectical with modern science and its modern achivements, while also arguing against idealistic interpretations in science and creationism.

Its not political, so you can´t be brainwashed :D. My friend studies mathematics and he was being told on university that "mathematics has nothing to do with nature" among other modern positivist illusions, then I gave him this book and he was really grateful after he read it....you might wanna check it out if you want, a lot of questions you pose in this philosophy forum are answered there, so maybe it would be interesting even for you...

Well, what can I say, read the book and see it for yourself. :D In any case, after dialectical materialism no new, really genuine philosophy appeared.

yours,

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?