Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Reason to believe vs no reason to doubt

1. I have a reason to believe

5 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. I have no reason to doubt

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Jul 30, 2003 #1

ddr

I don't quite support the American expression:"We have a reason to believe" cause I don't think it's enough.What's your pick:

-I have a reason to believe?

-I have no reason to doubt?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 30, 2003 #2

Another God

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

I am not sure I get what you are talking about, but I voted "I have a reason to Believe" because I am taking it as a larger concept, and therefore it is much more important to me to have a reason to believe in something, than to have no reason to doubt it.

I mean, I have no reason to doubt a whole miriad of things...but why should I believe in any of them unless there is some reason?

In other words: Why make stuff up?

4. Jul 30, 2003 #3
    My gut reaction was that there was no choice for 'I have no reason to believe'. Without more context, I for one, won't understand what you're getting at.

5. Jul 30, 2003 #4
    DDR at least give some detail on what the heck you're talking about.

6. Jul 31, 2003 #5

ddr

My point was:

If I have a reason to belive then I have minimum one reason to believe.If I have no reason to doubt then I have minimum all the reasons to believe.The expression "I have no reasons to doubt" is much wider and more general and it incorporates the expression "I have a reason to believe" in its self.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?