Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rebecca Zahau's death ruled a suicide - bound and with a t-shirt stuffed in her mouth

1. Sep 3, 2011 #1
    I prefer to give investigators the benefit of the doubt, always, but I'm having a really hard time going along with this one.

Beware that the link has a censored photo of the body from a distance in the air, and may upset some sensitive individuals.
    http://www.cbs8.com/story/15388199/autopsy-rebecca-zahau-found-gagged-with-t-shirt-in-mouth

Who commits suicide by binding their wrists and ankles, gagged, and completely nude?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 3, 2011 #2

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Re: Rebecca Zahau's death ruled a suicide - bound and with a t-shirt stuffed in her m

I was just reading this.

http://news.yahoo.com/dna-led-suici...JsZHxldXJvcGUEcHQDc3RvcnlwYWdlBHRlc3QD;_ylv=3

Seriously? That could have easily been staged. Newai's article said she "rolled" off the balcony.

4. Sep 3, 2011 #3
    Re: Rebecca Zahau's death ruled a suicide - bound and with a t-shirt stuffed in her m

While I can't imagine why a person would do it, I see no particular difficulty in her binding her own feet and stuffing a t-shirt in her own mouth. The bound hands are a little more difficult, but apparently, they weren't immobilized by the binding so it's not as if she couldn't possibly have done it herself.

It recently came to my attention that a brother of my grandmother was declared a suicide in 1941. I have a copy of the death certificate and it says that he died of carbon monoxide poisoning due to inhaling iluminating gas. What really caught my attention was the fact that there was no autopsy, just a coroner's examination. I think that if the facts of his case were known, it would blow the entire moon-landing, world trade center, Kennedy assasination, better tasting/less filling conspiracy wide open.

5. Sep 3, 2011 #4

Evo

What's odd about the writing on the door is that it wasn't in her handwriting, she left no suicide note. There is a possible motive, the boy's family might have believed her responsible for his *accident*.

Wow, murder mystery?

6. Sep 3, 2011 #5

Her son (who had a similar fate) hadn't yet died, either. I don't think a death could be any more suspicious.

7. Sep 3, 2011 #6

Most likely. The pertinent clues are these: He had money.

8. Sep 3, 2011 #7

murder mystery case :!!) :blushing: :uhh:

9. Sep 4, 2011 #8

wow, the corruption is unbelievable. the sheriff should be investigated.

10. Sep 4, 2011 #9

Pengwuino

Gold Member

I bet something very important is being held from the public and press. In my experience with these cases, when something seems hugely wrong and the police seem to be acting in utterly ridiculous ways, it comes out later that something was being held that would have compromised the case but makes the whole situation make sense.

11. Sep 4, 2011 #10

clearly it's murder, so either the cops are on the take, the coroner is an idiot, or they are trying to gather enough evidence to put the real culprit away. Let's hope it's the last...

12. Sep 4, 2011 #11

Evo

I have no doubt it's murder.

13. Sep 4, 2011 #12

I thought they usually put pressure on the suspects to affect their behavior, that maybe they would do or say something hastily that would give them away.

14. Sep 4, 2011 #13

David Carradine? maybe this case is fishy, but self-bondage and autoerotic asphyxiation are pretty common.

15. Sep 4, 2011 #14

Who commits murder and makes it look like a suicide that looks like a murder?

16. Sep 4, 2011 #15

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Someone who is bad at making it look like a suicide?

17. Sep 4, 2011 #16

Here are more details about the case.

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2011/sep/03/officials-sure-bizarre-case-suicide-family-unconvi/" [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  18. Sep 5, 2011 #17

I heard about this on the radio a while back. From what I remember she and her boyfriend had a rather abusive and chaotic relationship. Both of them called the police on each other frequently. The theory I heard was that she wanted to make it look like he had killed her to get one last vindictive stab at him. It was apparently part of their routine of abuse to try to get one another arrested.

19. Sep 5, 2011 #18

the "kinder, gentler sex"... what rubbish :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook