Calibrate Rotameters for Helium Flow Rate

• Thread starter Q_Goest
  • Start date
In summary, the purpose of calibrating rotameters for helium flow rate is to ensure precise and accurate measurements in various scientific and industrial applications. The frequency of calibration depends on the instrument and its usage, but it is generally recommended to calibrate at least once a year or when there is a significant change in flow rate. The steps involved in calibration include checking for physical damage or obstructions, connecting to a known flow source, adjusting the flow rate, and comparing the readings to a calibrated flow meter. Rotameters can also be calibrated for other gases besides helium, but potential sources of error include incorrect readings, errors in adjusting flow rate, and variations in gas properties or environmental conditions. These factors must be carefully monitored and controlled to ensure
Q_Goest
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
I have a rotameter for air measured in SCFM. I need to measure a helium flow rate.

I can't find a conversion on the net, but have come up with the actual flow rate in helium is equal to:

Q helium = Q air * (1/ Sg)^.5

Where Sg = specific gravity with respect to air
(Note: Helium Sg = 0.138)

So for example, if I'm measuring the flow of helium and the rotameter says 1 SCFM air, then I'm getting (1/.138)^.5 = 2.69 SCFM of helium.

Can anyone else confirm this or provide a different conversion?

Engineering news on Phys.org

1. What is the purpose of calibrating rotameters for helium flow rate?

The purpose of calibrating rotameters for helium flow rate is to ensure accurate and precise measurements of the flow rate of helium gas. This is important in various scientific and industrial applications, such as in gas chromatography and leak detection.

2. How often should rotameters for helium flow rate be calibrated?

The frequency of calibration for rotameters depends on the specific instrument and its usage. In general, it is recommended to calibrate rotameters at least once a year or whenever there is a significant change in the flow rate being measured.

3. What are the steps involved in calibrating rotameters for helium flow rate?

The first step is to check the rotameter for any physical damage or obstructions. Next, the rotameter should be connected to a known flow source and the flow rate should be adjusted to match the desired flow rate. The actual flow rate should then be measured using a calibrated flow meter and compared to the reading on the rotameter. Any discrepancies should be noted and adjustments can be made to the rotameter until it accurately measures the flow rate.

4. Can rotameters be calibrated for other gases besides helium?

Yes, rotameters can be calibrated for various gases depending on their specific gas flow properties. The calibration process may differ slightly for different gases, but the overall principle remains the same.

5. What are the potential sources of error when calibrating rotameters for helium flow rate?

Potential sources of error when calibrating rotameters include incorrect readings from the calibrated flow meter, errors in adjusting the flow rate, and variations in the gas properties or environmental conditions. It is important to carefully monitor and control these factors to ensure accurate calibration results.