Misunderstandings in Film/Play/Novel: Causes & Consequences

• Thread starter heman
  • Start date
In summary, the misunderstanding in this conversation started with the beginning of the post and was carried on until the end.
heman
Recall a film or a play you have watched or a novel you have read recently. :smile: Can
you identify an instance of misunderstanding between individuals or groups of
people? In some films it is a major misunderstanding that carries the story
forward. how the misunderstanding came about. What could have prevented it?

Physics news on Phys.org
This sounds like a homework assignment. Is this a homework assignment?

Yes this sounds very much like a homework assignment... or it's the worst thread I've ever seen in my life.

dang, I thought this was going to be about one of my most watched movies,Total Recall. And no, I do not have the time to "recall" Total Recall.

You just described pretty much every sitcom filmed.

when is this assignment due?

yeah yeah yeah it is!(Obviously-!) :rofl:

I thought may be you buddies come up with some gr8 innovative movie which could help me grab some extra points! o:)

heman said:
I thought may be you buddies come up with some gr8 innovative movie which could help me grab some extra points! o:)

Monty Python and the Holy Grail. It makes Ben Hur look like an epic. :wink:

heman said:
yeah yeah yeah it is!(Obviously-!) :rofl:

Do your own homework. Unless you have been living under a rock, you must have seen a movie like this. If not, go into the Drama section of blockbuster and look for anything pink.

gentleman, i have seen lot of movies but i could not remember some gr8 incident of misunderstanding and taking help is allowed in this course,it's just how better i present it in front of Audience!But Finally i wrote for the "Matrix" illustrating the initial conversations which take place between Neo and Morpheus!

haha there was no misunderstanding in the Matrix. Neo didnt understand anything at all :P

Neo was having an abstract idea,more or less he misunderstood Matrix i believe,like incidents where Morpheus tells him "is this air you are breathing " or his misconception that if he will die in Matrix,will he die in real!Well there wasn't something better i could not think of at tat time!
Eurotrip seemed another to me where Scooty took Mieka as the name of a guy but i avoided it since it was sex comedy,may be ppl may laugh at me and above all i am majoring in CSE,that's why i went for MatriX!

heman said:
Neo was having an abstract idea,more or less he misunderstood Matrix i believe,like incidents where Morpheus tells him "is this air you are breathing " or his misconception that if he will die in Matrix,will he die in real!Well there wasn't something better i could not think of at tat time!
Eurotrip seemed another to me where Scooty took Mieka as the name of a guy but i avoided it since it was sex comedy,may be ppl may laugh at me and above all i am majoring in CSE,that's why i went for MatriX!

there :D write that

I think if this was a homework assignment, you should have been upfront about it. Your dishonesty makes me not want to help you, but since I don't want to succumb to my darkside, I will lead you in the right direction.

There is a misunderstanding here that originated from the beginning of your first post. You were called out on it, and then you admitted it. Your admission is carrying it through so you can get help from people like me. Use words like: honesty, communication, perception, misconception and circumstance. (Movie: Schindler's List, I Am Sam)

Gentleman why you going deep over this and calling me dishonest over such an petty thing,Well it was an mistake from my side that i did not mention that it is one of my Assignment because i did not wanted to ruin its interest!
And the reason is that then ppl might not have been interested to enter into this and i thought of it in a dual way that it could be a good topic to discuss that's why i did so!
i wasn't aware that you ppl going to bite me for this and make it a high profile thing!

Well our instructor has clearly mentioned to us to do active research on any topic he gives us and know the views of the people and over Pf i normally do that in any way i can!And above all the content doesn't matter (that's the soul cause),ya guys thought that i am exploiting you all guy's talent for a wrong cause but i have to just present it and that's it!

I have nothing more to say over this,may be you understand !

1. What are some common causes of misunderstandings in film, plays, and novels?

Some common causes of misunderstandings in these forms of media include miscommunication between characters, unreliable narrators, and misinterpretation of events or information. Other factors such as hidden agendas, cultural or social differences, and personal biases can also contribute to misunderstandings.

2. How do misunderstandings affect the plot or storyline of a film, play, or novel?

Misunderstandings can greatly impact the plot or storyline of a film, play, or novel. They can create conflict and tension between characters, drive the plot forward, and lead to unexpected twists and turns. In some cases, misunderstandings can also serve as a catalyst for character development and reveal important themes or messages.

3. Can misunderstandings in film, plays, and novels be intentional or unintentional?

Misunderstandings can be both intentional or unintentional, depending on the author's or filmmaker's intent. In some cases, misunderstandings may be deliberately used as a plot device to create drama or suspense. Other times, they may occur naturally as a result of the characters' personalities or circumstances.

4. How can misunderstandings in film, plays, and novels be resolved?

Misunderstandings can be resolved in a variety of ways, depending on the story and characters involved. In some cases, characters may have a direct conversation to clear up any confusion. Other times, a third party may intervene to help clarify the situation. In some cases, misunderstandings may never be fully resolved, adding to the complexity and depth of the story.

5. Are there any positive effects of misunderstandings in film, plays, and novels?

While misunderstandings can often lead to negative consequences, they can also have positive effects in storytelling. They can add depth and complexity to characters, provide opportunities for growth and development, and keep audiences engaged and invested in the story. Misunderstandings can also serve as a way to highlight important themes or messages in a subtle and thought-provoking manner.