1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Reccomendations for grad school

1. Jun 6, 2007 #1
    I will be applying to grad school for my Math PhD this upcoming fall and I had some questions:

How important is who is writing your letter of reccomendation??? I am from a top 30 Math university according to the NRC rankings and US News World and Report rankings, but I doubt I can get a reccomendation from a full Professor. I can get a reccomendation from 1 associate professor (2nd rank) at my school and I've done research with him, i'm sure he will write me a great letter. I'm currently doing an REU, but it's not at a big school and the professors aren't well known, but i'm sure I can get 2 publications and a great reccomendation. Basically, here is my question, by the time I apply, I'll have all the numbers part of my application down pat, 3.8+ GPA, i've taken a ton of math courses in both pure and applied, probably will have a good GRE score and a good GRE math score. The only thing I'm worried about is reccomendations.

So far i have:

1) a letter of reccomendation from a professor at my school who is very highly regarded in his field, and i've done a year's worth of research under him already, and I have a very good relationship with him. but he's only an associate professor. and he got his PhD overseas.
    2) a letter of reccomendation from my REU where I will probably have 2 math papers published but he is not from a big time school at all.

for my 3rd letter i am scrambling to find a professor at my school who will do an independent study with me. I don't think doing well in a course will give me a great letter. I want to do an independent study and hopefully garner a 3rd letter from a big wig at my school. I can probably get one from a post-doc fellow at my school, but how does that look? I would rather get one from a full blown professor.

any help from professors or people who have been through the grad school application process?

if you are wondering, I am hoping to get into Columbia, CalTech are my top two choices. I know I can get into the good-really good schools in the NRC rankings. But I would love to get into one ofthe top 10-15 schools.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 6, 2007 #2
    Well, a great letter from a bigwig is certainly better than a great letter from an unknown associate professor. But I can't help but think that a great letter from an unknown associate professor is much better than a so-so letter from a bigwig who barely knows you.

So sure, it's important but you still need to go with the people who know you best.

4. Jun 6, 2007 #3
    i just emailed like 15 professors to see if I could independent study with them. what a pest haha.

from my limited experience, doing an independent study is the best way to get a reccomendation. they get to know you on a deeper level than in class and actually want you to do well, else why would they accept the independent study?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?