Receiver Pressure Equalizations Calculations

In summary, the question is about pressure equalization between two thermally insulated receivers connected via a valve. The equalizing pressure and temperature are calculated to be 105.6 psia or 90.91 psig and 804.32 abs or 344.32 F, respectively, assuming receiver 1 is in expansion and receiver 2 is in compression. The heat capacity ratio, n=1.406, is used in the calculation. The effect of the valve and piping is not considered in the analysis. Further clarification is needed on the process and the potential impact of the valve and piping.
vapl153
I have a question about pressure equalization. I have 2 receiver thermically insulated (adiabatic) and connected via a valve, one receiver 10 cu/ft at 100 psig and 350 F, the other receiver is 1 cu/ft at 0 psig and 60 F. using n=1.406, what would be the equalizing pressure and temperature when I open the valve ? (the valve and piping not to be considered in the calculation).

Is this ok ?

P1= 100 psig = 114.7 psia
V1= 10 cu/ft
T2 350 F = 810 abs

P2= 0 psig = 14.7 psia
V2= 1 cu/ft
T2= 60 F = 520 abs

The combining result
P3= ?
V3= V1 + V2
T3= ?

PV= P1V1 + P2V2 = 1147 + 14.7
PV= 1161.7
PV/T= P1V1/T1 + p2v2/t2 = 1.416 + 0.02826
PV/T= 1.4443
PV/T = P3V3/T3

P3 = PV / V3 = 1.4443/11 cu/ft
P3 = 105.6 psia = 90.91 psig
T3 = (PV/T) / PV = 1.4443 / 1161.7
T3 = 804.32 abs = 344.32 F

I don't know how to solve it with n, receiver 1 in expansion and receiver 2 in compression,

Thanks, Dan

Engineering news on Phys.org

Dear Dan, thank you for your question about pressure equalization. Your calculations seem to be correct. The equalizing pressure would be 105.6 psia or 90.91 psig, and the equalizing temperature would be 804.32 abs or 344.32 F. However, I would like to clarify a few things about your question and calculations.

Firstly, the value of n=1.406 you mentioned is the heat capacity ratio for air at constant pressure and constant volume, not the polytropic index. The polytropic index would depend on the process and cannot be determined with the given information.

Secondly, I assume that the receiver 1 is in expansion and receiver 2 is in compression because of the difference in pressure and temperature. If this is not the case, please provide more information about the process.

Lastly, I would like to mention that your calculations do not take into account the effects of the valve and piping. While they may not have a significant impact on the result, they should be considered in a more accurate analysis.

I hope this helps clarify your question. Please let me know if you have any further questions or if I can assist you with any other scientific inquiries. Best of luck with your research!

Scientist at [Your Institution]

What is a receiver pressure equalization calculation?

A receiver pressure equalization calculation is a mathematical calculation used to determine the pressure required to equalize the pressure inside a receiver tank with the pressure in the pipeline. This is important in the design and operation of gas transmission and distribution systems.

Why is receiver pressure equalization important?

Receiver pressure equalization is important because it ensures that the pressure inside the receiver tank matches the pressure in the pipeline, preventing damage to the tank and ensuring safe and efficient operation of the system.

What factors are considered in receiver pressure equalization calculations?

Several factors are considered in receiver pressure equalization calculations, including the volume of the receiver tank, the volume of the pipeline, the operating pressure of the pipeline, and the desired pressure inside the receiver tank.

How is receiver pressure equalization calculated?

Receiver pressure equalization is calculated using the ideal gas law, which states that the pressure of a gas is directly proportional to its temperature and volume. The calculation involves determining the required volume of gas to equalize the pressure in the receiver tank and then determining the pressure needed to achieve that volume.

What are some common challenges in receiver pressure equalization calculations?

One common challenge in receiver pressure equalization calculations is accounting for changes in temperature and pressure over time, as these can affect the accuracy of the calculation. Additionally, the calculation may become more complex when factoring in other variables such as gas composition or flow rate.