Can a Music Major Teach Herself Physics?

In summary, it is possible for a music major to teach herself physics, but it would require a significant amount of dedication, self-motivation, and access to resources. While a music major may not have a background in math and science, they can still learn the basics of physics through self-study and practice. However, it may be more beneficial for a music major to seek guidance from a physics teacher or tutor to ensure a thorough understanding of the subject. With determination and effort, a music major can successfully teach herself physics and expand her knowledge in a diverse range of fields.
ArbitrarySymphony
Last month, I graduated from college with a music degree...a musical theatre degree, to be specific. (Yeah yeah, I know.) I am already itching to learn more, and wanted to focus on physics, which I've been very interested in since high school.

I thought about switching majors in college, but I'm a first-gen college student and didn't have the money to attend on my own...my music scholarships (on top of Financial aid and other scholarships) basically paid for school for me, but it required me to be a music major. I do love music, and I'm currently supporting myself well with the money I make from performing, so I'm ahead of other grads in that area.

Here's the deal. I can't afford to get a second degree right now, nor do I have the ability, due to some health problems. SO, I am attempting to learn as much as I can on my own so that I can potentially take the GRE or move towards a second degree in physics eventually. (My main interest as of now is theoretical physics.) I know physics isn't exactly a "hobby" and I'm not naive enough to think that a few hours a week of study will make me a physicist. But I don't want to just sit on my ass until I have the ability to actually get another degree. That's where this forum comes in. I will hopefully gain some guidance and knowledge to feed my passion for the time being.

Some other background: I was homeschooled my whole life, so I'm very self-motivated...I'm used to being in charge of my own education. I really enjoy math, but I couldn't take as many math classes as I'd have liked in college. I also worked in the scholarship library and got to bring home the used math/physics textbooks. I studied them in my free time and got notes from my friends who were science and math majors so I could learn what they were learning in class.

All of this to say: I know being a music major didn't prepare me for physics, but I did what I could and I feel like I can still pursue physics. And if I study for a while and nothing comes of it, or I can't afford to keep it up, no big loss. At least I have some knowledge under my belt. But I don't want to waste the time I have, especially since I enjoy studying whenever I have time anyway.

I look forward to talking to all of you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to the PF. :smile: