1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Recession bite

1. Apr 30, 2009 #1
    During on campus interviews back in august, i got 2 jobs, both in power sector. And joining of both has been deferred now by 3 & 6 months. So i went for another interview yesterday in a glass manufacturing company(supposedly covering 70% market share in India). I got the job in plant maintenance, which at the time of interview I declined. I just don't want to go in plant maintenance type jobs, I already saw what its like in a power plant earlier.

Since the placement department of my college does not allow me any more chance(they allowed the 3rd one because of deferment of first 2), I can not have any more campus placements. There "might" be a campus visit of a company for mechanical engineering students on 8-9 may. And the glass guys ll be sending offer letter by 7 may. So I was thinking of writing a letter to HR of the glass company that i wont be able to join their company. Is it right to do so? If i don't make it in the next company, i do have a 3 month project in a government research organization, so its a sort of back up. Is it worth taking a risk? Also I am not sure of when the first company will send their joining letter

Obviously research guys will be paying far less than the company, but i don't want to have a maintenance engineer on my CV. I think I am being paranoid about it:cry:, but i dunno:confused:.

So the situation is: job as maintenance engineer from 1st July & job security OR an apology letter to glass company & another shot at the next company with a better job profile OR a 3 month project & hope for getting the job letter from Siemens?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 30, 2009 #2
    It depends on if you have to put food on the table?

4. Apr 30, 2009 #3
    I don't have to.
    then?:frown:

5. May 1, 2009 #4

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

I'm not entirely clear on why you think you are going to get an offer letter from the glass company since you already declined them in an interview.

I think you made a mistake in turning down an interested company, unless there are specific reasons which you did not mention- relocation, low salary, etc. "Not interesting" is more a reflection on you than the company. There's no rule that says you have to stay at the company your whole life, or even that you have to list the company on your CV. Once you have a job, you can make it whatever you want- a stepping stone to something better, or a timewaster.

6. May 1, 2009 #5
    During interview, they asked if I am comfortable in plant maintenance, I said no. During the final interview with the MD, he said he is putting me in plant maintenance, in fact, there were 3 guys from mechanical & we all got the same profile.

I haven't turned it down yet. But the point is that it was more a step in desperation to get job secure. I was quite sure Siemens won't defer it, since Areva & Alstom already sent their joining letters. And since few companies were left, i just went with it, my mistake, I accept.
    Salary isn't much different but location-yes, its 60kms away from my home, so I would have to relocate.

Correct. I know:redface:

I think I will let the boat sail.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook