Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Recipes and cooking

1. May 11, 2005 #1

Staff: Mentor

I like to cook, which is good thing because my wife doesn't, and it is probably one of the reasons my wife married me. :biggrin: I used to help my mom and her mom when they were cooking, and that's probably where I get my interest in cooking.

Anyway, I am always looking for interesting and nutritious foods, that taste great. I just heard about these recipes today.

Salmon with Cucumber Dill Sauce
    Chef Michael Ballon's RoundTable Recipe (from http://www.wamc.org/ballon.html - May 11, 2005)

Apparently Salmon goes well with this Dill and Cucumber Sauce

Mike Ballon is owner and chef at Castle Street Cafe in Great Barrington, MA - http://www.castlestreetcafe.com/newMenu.html

What's for Dinner by David Rubel

Chicken with Cashew Nuts

Listener Feedback on the "Chicken with Cashew Nuts"

What's for dinner archives - http://www.wamc.org/wfdinnerarchive.html

I have also been compiling recipes on another forum - Everything-Science ( Everything Recipes ) - and that is what I thought about doing here on PF. I have a big backlog to work through though.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 21, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. May 11, 2005 #2

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

This is one of my favourites, Lemony Chicken with Fresh Coriander, recipe by Madhur Jaffrey.

Yum yum yum.

I've just discovered that when this recipe was first published, so many people in Manchester made it that the whole city was sold out of fresh coriander for weeks.
  4. May 11, 2005 #3

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

Brewnog, that sounds yummy...Astro, I have made a cold salmon dish with the cucumber dill sauce in the hot summer...it's very good!

My husband does a lot of the cooking at home, one of the reasons I definitely married him! But when it comes to any sort of mexican dish or lasagna, I can satisfy the hungriest tummy. When I get more time, I will post a recipe or two that always goes over well.
  5. May 11, 2005 #4

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I love cooking! :biggrin:

This evening I cooked simple but delicious:

3 stalks of celery
    1 cucumber
    1 chilli pepper
    2 cloves garlic

stirfry all that, at the last moment add 2 finely chopped tomatoes

mix with cooked rice vermicelli and serve :tongue2:
  6. May 11, 2005 #5

What kind of oil do you use in the stir-fry? And do you use a wok or pan/skillet?

I imagine you used salmon fillet, as opposed to out of the can :yuck: I am looking forward to trying the cucumber dill sauce.

Ballon did asparagus au gratin with a manchego cheese sauce. :tongue2: It was easy, however the second time I made it, I forgot to monitor the butter (hazard of cooking with ADD :biggrin: ) and I boiled the butter :grumpy: Had to throw it out and start over.

Also, I may have missed it, but when is that baby due?
  7. May 11, 2005 #6

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I used to use extra virgin olive oil, but switched over to sunflower oil (olive allergy). I cook everything in a wok.. makes life so easy :smile:
  8. May 11, 2005 #7

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That cucumber and dill sauce sounds wonderful! I bet it will go well with other foods besides salmon too. Cucumber and dill over grilled salmon sounds like a very nice combination for a summer meal. :approve:

Edit: I just jotted down that recipe and ingredients to stop at the grocery store on my way home. I have chicken for dinner tonight, but I think I'll give the sauce a try over that (anything to give chicken breasts some variety). Yes, I love cooking, and I really like simple recipes that taste great and can vary my every day cooking, not just the meals I prepare when I have a whole day to cook a complicated recipe. I also like to take recipes and modify them into new dishes, like this one, substituting the more readily available chicken for salmon.

I made gumbo this week, but I didn't actually follow a recipe, so I'll try this the best I can (it's supposed to have celery in it, but I didn't have any and it tasted fine without).

Sautee cut okra (I just used a package of frozen) in olive oil until it stops being "stringy."

Meanwhile, prepare a roux (approximately equal parts oil...I used olive oil because that's what I had, but any vegetable oil will work...and flour), and cook until medium to dark brown, depending on taste (I don't like it too dark, but some like it to look nearly burnt). When the roux is brown, add a cut onion and a cut pepper (I had an orange pepper; I prefer the sweeter peppers rather than green pepper) and a lot of minced garlic (5 or 6 cloves I think I added). Sautee until the onions turn clear. Then add two cans of chicken broth (I'll have to check the size on those cans...the standard small chicken broth cans, not the monster ones), and canned, diced tomato (I used half of what I think was a 32 oz can, I didn't have a smaller can). Of course you could use homemade broth/stock or fresh tomato, I was just using what I had in the house. Season with salt, black pepper, a little oregano, a couple bay leaves, and some red pepper. Add the sauteed okra, and while the mixture starts to come to a boil, cook andouille sausage (cut into approx 1/2" slices)...I just use the same pan the okra came out of, otherwise you could be cooking the sausage at the same time as everything else and save some time at the end. When the sausage is browned, add it to the pot with everything else. Add hot sauce to taste!

Depending on how hungry you are, you can let it simmer for an hour or so to better develop the flavor, or eat it soon after all the ingredients are added and brought to a boil (just make sure the sausage is cooked through). Serve over rice.

If you have time and want to do so, instead of using chicken broth, you can include chicken in the recipe...start out by boiling whole chicken breasts, with the bone, and make a stock from that, then remove the cooked chicken from the bone and include the meat in the gumbo...it's really tasty that way, but adds a lot of cooking time to make a good chicken stock, so I just use broth from cans.
    Last edited: May 11, 2005
  9. May 11, 2005 #8

Les Sleeth

Gold Member

That's too funny. If I didn't cook we'd starve! When my wife boils water for oatmeal she claims she is "cooking" water, that's how bad it is here. Just kididng, I love to cook and she loves to eat . . . what could be better?

Below is my favorite soup, tweaked over years of experimenting. I make soup several times a week, and the number one, biggest secret I have is getting the broth right over and above every other consideration. My number two secret is to use a pressure cooker, not for speed of cooking, but because it traps so much more flavor into the broth than regular pans. Here a link to the pressure cooker I use. It should appeal to all the physics types, it works incredibly well. I often use the smaller pressure fry pan size to make two servings.

Minestrone Soup

In a food processor puree:
    • 1 cup water
    • 2 roma tomatoes, quartered
    • 8 garlic cloves
    • 2 cups fresh basil leaves, loosely packed (don’t substitute dried basil)

Add puree to the following and bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer covered for 45 minutes in a regular soup pot, or 25 minutes in a pressure cooker if you have one:

• 5 cups water • 1 small yellow onion, diced
    • 2 stalks celery, sliced “fat” • 1 bay leaf
    • 1 can (15 oz. size) chopped/cut tomatoes with juice
    • 1 Tbs fresh chopped oregano leaves
    • 1 tsp sea salt • fresh-ground black pepper
    Add following ingredients to soup base and cook for another 10 minutes in regular soup pot, or heat until pressure builds in a pressure cooker, and then set aside and let the pressure dissipate naturally:

• 1 cup carrots, sliced • 1/4 lb. green beans, sliced

Add following ingredients to soup base, turn off heat, and let stand for at least 10 minutes before serving (i.e., let the heat already in the soup cook these last ingredients):

• 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
    • 1 small zucchini, halved and sliced
    • 1 15 oz. S&W brand can small white beans, rinse off liquid
    • salt to taste
    • 2 Tbsp butter or olive oil

Optional: small pasta shells. Because pasta does not hold up well in standing soup (as in leftovers), cook pasta separately. Use approximately 1/8 cup per serving, cook in some of the soup broth or a little salted water, and then add to individual soup servings.

Makes 4 to 6 servings.
    Last edited: May 11, 2005
  10. May 11, 2005 #9
    The best and easy....Apple/Cherry bread @15 mins prep time.

pre heat oven, 350

1/2 cup butter
    3/4 cup sugar
    2 eggs
    1 teaspoon vanilla
    2 cups flour
    1 teaspoon soda
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/3 cup orange juice
    1 cup chopped unpeeled cooking apples
    1/3 cup chopped cherries

In a big bowl, cream butter and sugar. Add eggs and vanilla. In another bowl
    combine flour, soda and salt. Add to butter mixture. Mix well. Add apples and cherries. Mix again.
    Turn into greased 9x5 loaf pan. Bake for about 1 hour at 350.
  11. May 11, 2005 #10

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Mmm, sounds good Les.

Sooo...the grocery store didn't have any fresh dill. I resorted to the dried stuff (and took a guess at how much dried dill might equal a "bunch" of fresh). But, the sauce was still very tasty over chicken! :approve: It'll definitely be a regular on my summer menu! Thanks Astronuc!
  12. May 11, 2005 #11

Oooh, everything sounds so yummy!!!!

I will have to dig out one of my favorite recipes. Most of what I cook now is done by "feel" a pinch of this, a bit of that, I'd have to stop and actually measure the ingredients.
  13. May 11, 2005 #12

Gold Member

The entire extent of my cooking repertoire:

can opener
    something in a can
    (or boiled eggs)

14. May 11, 2005 #13

Cornish Pasty

Cornish Pasty (serves 4) - so if you cook for one, freeze or refrigerate the others, or have a dinner party. I prefer to have dinner parties whenever possible.

3/4 to 1 lb of sirloin steak
    1.5 large or 2 small white potatos
    1 white onion or diced onion

optional ingredients
    1 turnip
    1 large or 2 small carrots
    1 handful of peas (I would guess a cup)

salt & pepper.

pie pastry (not to thick)
    Since the ingredients will cook inside the pasty, you don't brown the meat or onion.

Cut (small cubes) the steak. Put in bowl and moisten with water or a little oil.
    Salt and pepper (season according to preference)

Dice potatoes, onions, turnips (and optionally carrots) and blend together in separate bowl.
    Salt and pepper (according to preference - but not too much if the meat is seasoned).

Now there are two options - to mix meat and veggies or not to mix the meat and veggies.

Lay out the pie pastry in the form of a circle or slight oval. It should be about 3x the width of the ingredients or about 10-12 inches in diameter. Make sure the pastry is not too thick, not too thin.

Place the meat and veggies (mixed or not mixed) in the center. My mother put the meat on the pastry and then put the veggies over the meat (not mixed option). Sprinkle parsley sparringly.

Fold the pie pastry up to the center and crimp. Don't make it tight, since steam pressure will build up. Prick the top with a fork in a few places to let out the steam. Moisten the top surface so the pie pastry doesn't get dry.

Now place the pasties on a greased (or Pam'd) cookie sheet and place in the middle of a pre-heated oven.

Cook for at 375°F until brown, or a 350°F, which will take longer. At high temperature about 40-45 minutes, and at the lower temp 1 to 1.5 hr. It's down when brown and the bottom is crisp.

Now my mother always did pasties with meat, potatoes, onions and turnips. My grandmother would add carrots, but never peas, and some other families would add peas. It's a matter of taste - whatever you like. I personally like a combination of carrot and parsnip with a little melted butter in the mix.

You could also try http://www.cornishlight.co.uk/cornish-pasty.htm (recipe for pastry from scratch)
    That recipe is essentially the one that my mother used.

Or try
    http://www.cornwall-calling.co.uk/food/pastie.htm (measurements in metric, 454 g = 1 lb, 225 g = 1/2 lb.)

Have fun and experiment.
  15. May 11, 2005 #14

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yummy, even more good recipes! I've wanted a good recipe for pasties ever since the first time I tried them! :smile: Though, at this rate, I won't be fit to be seen in a bathing suit when I go to Disney with ZZ and Evo! :biggrin:
  16. May 11, 2005 #15

Gold Member

If you have pasties, isn't the suit a little redundant?
  17. May 11, 2005 #16

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Imagine my surprise when I learned they are edible! :rofl:
  18. May 11, 2005 #17

Gold Member

I've nibbled on a couple in my time, but I never thought of swallowing one. :eek:
  19. May 12, 2005 #18

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

okay, I have some great stuff!!!

uh oh, never mind. :redface:
  20. May 12, 2005 #19

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Home made pizza crust

Make 2 - 41 cm or 2 - 38 cm by 25 cm pizza

50 g fresh Beer Yeast or 25 g of dry yeast (Fleishmans for example)
    1 tbsp of sugar (corn sugar is better, it activates the yeast faster)
    625 ml (2 1/2 cup) of water at body temperature, not too hot it will kill the yeast, not to cold the yeast will be slow to activate
    4 cup of "OO" or all-purpose flour (My modification, 3 cup of whole wheat and 1 cup of all purpose)
    2 cup of wheatlets
    1 tsp of salt

In bowl, dissolve the yeast with the water and sugar.
    Meanwhile, mix the flour, wheatlets and the salt. Add the yeast to the dry ingredient, knead to mixture untill it becomes elastic (5 to 8 minutes). Split the mixture into and put into 2 different bowl.
    Cover with a clean dish towel and let it rise in a warm place for about 45 minutes or untill it double in size. Deflate the mixture, knead againt for about 5 minutes. Let rise for another 45 minutes. Deflate and knead for 2-3 minutes. At this point the mixture can be frozen or put in the fridge.

Bake at 200C for about 20 to 25 minutes. the best combination seems to be a strong tasting italiens cheese (Parmesan), a soft italien cheeze (Mozarella) and goat cheese. the goat cheese should be added 10 to 15 minutes after the baking starts. I usually add roasted pepper, roasted garlic, mushroom and caramelized oignon. The sauce is just diced tomatoes with their juice.
  21. May 12, 2005 #20
    Whats a wheatlet?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?