Recipes and cooking

• Thread starter Astronuc
  • Start date
DocToxyn
Science Advisor
Astronuc said:
Hey that's not too weird - I've had Guinness ice-cream - something like a blend of Guinness draft and ice cream (possible vanilla). It was great, and it tasted like Guinness.

Also, Guinness goes great with Pecan pie.
Exactly. The reason "beer jello shots" might be weird to some people is that the traditional "jello shot" is sweet and fruity, since it's made with jello. Thus most people assume that you are mixing beer with say lime jello and therein lies the distaste (athough if you did it right, it could be done with Corona and lime :rolleyes: ). I think Guinness or other stouts would work fine, but it might not be as widely accepted. There are also many variations on this theme using other alcohols like chardonnay jellies, gin and tonic gelee, sake shots, etc.

Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Carrot Ginger Soup

There are only a couple of ingredients in carrot ginger soup, and therefore it is essential that they all be of the highest quality. Fresh carrots from the garden or a farm market, rather than those from a supermarket. The only other ingredients are ginger, onion, a little brown sugar, and a dash of spice.

• 4 cups diced organic carrots
  • 1 spanish onion
  • 2 tablespoons peeled minced ginger
  • 1 quart chicken stock
  • 2 tablespoon brown sugar (optional)
  • dash cinnamon
  • dash nutmeg
  • salt and pepper to taste

1. Brown the onions in a little vegetable oil, in a heavy bottomed soup pot. Add the carrots, and stir for 1 minute.

2. Add the rest of the ingredients, and simmer for about 20 minutes, or until the carrots are soft.

3. Puree the entire mix in a food processor.

4. Reheat the pureed soup, taste for salt and pepper, and serve hot.

McDonald's Double Quarter Pounder Cheeseburger

Drive to local McDonalds Drive thru
order a #3, this is important, make sure it's a three
a three with a Dr. Pepper.
Wait a couple of seconds then say "Yes, make it a large"
pull forward
Now you don't need to be exact here, you need more than $6.50 but less than $10.00. Hand the money to the teller and when you receive change drop it into the window charity box. pull forward again.
Accept bag and drink from window person and say "thank you, yes ketchup would be nice"
unwrap, eat and enjoy
serves one

Monique
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Astronuc said:
Carrot Ginger Soup
Ever since I bought my blender I've been addited to making soups! Carrot soups is one of my favorites, since I wouldn't think of eating carrots as main course. Another favorite is button-mushroom soup, fry an onion and a package of button mushrooms, add a tablet of vegetable stock and two cups of water, add some cream and blend to a soup.. yumm.

Monique
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I once made thai coconut soup, after having had a bowl in a restaurant: boil coconut milk with water, add some slices of pepper, some slices of ginger, bamboo shoots, button mushrooms, quatered tomatoes, some tablespoons of lemon juice and some sugar and salt.. delicious, if you can stomach coconut soup :smile: oh, and add some finely sliced cilantro!

Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Last edited by a moderator:
Evo
Mentor
I like her and her cooking show, but her restaurant here is not very good. I've been there too many times as it is a common place to take clients as it is never that busy.

I have to agree with the review below. The last time I was there for lunch we chose the three pasta special, it's all you can eat, no one could even eat the first portion, it was nasty. This review could have been written by one of us.

"Could not believe poor quality and prep. Evidently kitchen ran out of seasonings. 3 pasta special must have been donated by a bitter enemy. No one in party willing to finish order. Desert (seen only with magnifying glass must have been run in from Dairy Queen)."

In all fairness I've had some average, but overpriced meals there.

Lidia Bastianich's food looks amazing. But you have to realize her resturant's food is not her cooking. I think her cooking should be amazing, because I have had good Italian food from a friend of the family. Italian food is so much more than pasta and fettucini.......:grumpy:

Evo
Mentor
cyrusabdollahi said:
Lidia Bastianich's food looks amazing. But you have to realize her resturant's food is not her cooking. I think her cooking should be amazing, because I have had good Italian food from a friend of the family. Italian food is so much more than pasta and fettucini.......:grumpy:
She should take more care of what the place is doing to her reputation.

Yeah, you would hope that it would be like her show, but I don't think you can imitate what she makes at home in a restaurant and get the same quality. Mostly because it’s not her making it, and that makes all the difference. I have been to some supposedly nice French restaurants that cost way too much and had little taste :yuck:. The escargot had no taste, the French bread was O.K, and the place smelled like burned cheese, and this guy was supposed to be a good chef from DC...

Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Evo said:
. . ., but her [Lidia] restaurant here is not very good. I've been there too many times as it is a common place to take clients as it is never that busy.

"Could not believe poor quality and prep. Evidently kitchen ran out of seasonings. 3 pasta special must have been donated by a bitter enemy. No one in party willing to finish order. Desert (seen only with magnifying glass must have been run in from Dairy Queen)."

In all fairness I've had some average, but overpriced meals there.
:rofl: I read a couple reviews on-line. It seems whenever a reviewer shows up, the food is good and well-presented. :rofl: :rolleyes:

I doubt Lidia is getting the full story. I think that is a problem with franchises, where the quality is determined by the local manager and not the name owner. I didn't realize that Lidia's was a franchised restaurant.

I have been disappointed at most franchise or chain restaurants. We have one restaurant owned and operated by graduates of the Culinary Institute of America (CIA :biggrin: to us locally). Food is always excellent.

Some of the best food I have ever eaten was at obscure restaurants. The best blackened (Cajun) redfish was at a local diner near the New Orleans airport. The place was about two or three blocks north of I-10 and located in a mini-strip of shops. The fish fillet was tender but the outer layer was seared and crisp. Every other time I eat fish, chicken or meat which has been 'blackened' Cajun style, the food is dry.

In Wilmington, NC, there is a small restaurant in a strip mall that server gourmet food. I had a roasted chicken in cilantro sauce, and it was served with a Chardonnay, which perfectly complimented the cilantro flavored chicken. It was incredible. The entre was served with a black bean chutney, which really didn't go with the chicken. Oh, well. The meal was very good.

saltydog said:
I challenge anyone to come up with a better french toast recipie:

First, grow some fresh mint.

Mix eggs, milk, and anise in a bowl. Dip diagonally-cut genuine french bread slices in batter. Start frying. sprinkle cinammon. Cook till slightly burnt. That's right slightly burnt.

Chop up strawberries, preferably fresh peaches. Place in center of plate, place toast about the pile. Place 1 and just one scoop of vanilla ice cream on top. Sprinkly with freshly cut chopped mint (just a little bit). Cover with powerded sugar and honey.

Just had some. :!!)

mwahhahah i can slaughter that.... :tongue:

get an old stale loaf of walnut/apricot bread (just like the kind we make at our bakery when it's too old to sell as fresh bread :wink: ) slice it & then slice the slices almost all the way through. so you have something that resembles a hamburger bun. then mix up some cream cheese and either maple syrup or honey in a mixer until you have something reasonably spreadable & spread that inside. & for good measure put some frozen berries inside also. then get your egg mixture (5 eggs, some whipping cream & small tsp of vanilla) soak each piece of bread in that & saute in butter over high heat. :approve: dang that's tasty french toast! :biggrin:

remembered more good breakfast stuff, baked eggs :!!)

there are a bunch of different ways to do them. i partially cook ~5 slices of bacon (so not too much fat will come out) & line a cereal bowl (use a ramekin if you got one) with the slices. then crack 3 eggs into the bowl & put into the oven @~400 degrees. once the eggs start to turn white take them out, pour in a generous amt of whipping cream, add salt & pepper, & grated swiss cheese & put back in the oven until the eggs finish setting up. yesterday i thought i used way too much whipping cream by mistake but in fact it tasted better than ever before. i guess it takes a bit of practice.

there are plenty of variations of this. the book i got said brush the ramekin with butter & line it with ham instead of bacon. you can also add all kind of stuff like put bacon on top, chunks of ham on top, different cheeses etc etc. got to use your imagination. & of course if you got a smaller bowl/ramekin only use 2 eggs. etc etc