Understanding the Reciprocal Basis Problem

In summary, the problem involves finding the reciprocal of a basis set and using the standard basis to show that they are equal. The notation used includes a cross product and a basis set represented by [a,b,c]. Clarification is needed on whether the cross product is between vectors or a tensor product, as well as the meaning of the basis set.
Benzoate

Homework Statement

Let {a,b,c} be any basis set. Then the corresponding reciprocal {a*,b*,c*} is defined by
a*=b x c/[a,b,c] , b*=c x a/[a,b,c], c*=a x b/[a,b,c]

If {i,j,k} is standard basis, show that {i*,j*,k*}={i,j,k}

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no idea how to start this problem. I know the standard basis is just the identity matrix. But that's all I know. I don't know what {i*,j*,k*} is supposed to symbolized. Is it the inverse of {i,j,k}?

Physics news on Phys.org
Did anyone not understand my question?

What is the notation [a,b,c]? A vector triple product?

Also, {i,j,k} is not a matrix. It is a set of three vectors.

First you are going to have to clarify your notation. Is a x b the cross product of two vectors or is it a tensor product? And what do you mean by [a, b, c]?

HallsofIvy said:
First you are going to have to clarify your notation. Is a x b the cross product of two vectors or is it a tensor product? And what do you mean by [a, b, c]?

a x b is the cross product [a,b,c] is the basis set.

1) What is the reciprocal basis problem?

The reciprocal basis problem is a mathematical problem in crystallography that involves finding the basis vectors of a crystal lattice in reciprocal space, given the basis vectors of the crystal in real space.

2) Why is the reciprocal basis problem important?

The reciprocal basis problem is important in crystallography because it allows us to understand the diffraction patterns of crystals and determine their crystal structures, which is crucial for many applications in materials science, chemistry, and other fields.

3) What are the challenges in solving the reciprocal basis problem?

One of the main challenges in solving the reciprocal basis problem is that it requires complex mathematical calculations and transformations, which can be difficult to understand and implement. Additionally, the problem becomes more complicated for non-cubic crystal lattices.

4) How is the reciprocal basis problem solved?

The reciprocal basis problem is typically solved using mathematical algorithms and techniques, such as Fourier transforms and matrix calculations. Specialized software and tools, such as crystallographic software packages, can also be used to solve the problem.

5) What are some applications of the reciprocal basis problem?

The reciprocal basis problem has many applications in various fields, including materials science, chemistry, geology, and crystallography. It is used to determine the structure of crystals, identify unknown substances, and study the properties of materials at the atomic level.