How Does the Reciprocal Lattice Relate to Real Space Lattice Vectors?

In summary, the problem at hand involves finding a basis for the reciprocal lattice that satisfies the condition e^{iK\cdot R}=1. This can be achieved by defining b_i \propto a_j\times a_k, where a_j and a_k are orthogonal vectors in the real space lattice. The normalization of these vectors must also be determined in order to fully solve the problem.
nixego
Hey folks,

Here's my problem:

Knowing that for reciprocal lattice vectors K and real space lattice vectors R:

eqn001.gif

and using the Kronecker delta:

6cd0853395bed28ab128bc5691bc2cc5.png

I need to prove b1, b1, b3 as shown http://www.doitpoms.ac.uk/tlplib/brillouin_zones/reciprocal.php" :

eqn004.gif

I understand that for the first equation above, the exponential needs to equal zero for the expression to equal 1. So I have K.R=0 as one piece of information, but I don't see how this leads me to the expressions for b1, b1, b3 which I'm trying to find.

I'm assuming this is part of the proof:

eqn005.gif

But how do I use this and where does the 2*pi come from?

Thanks all!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
This type of calculation can be found in any book on solid-state physics.

Anyway:
So we know that [itex]\mb{R}=\sum_i n_i\mb{a}_i, \ n_i\in \mathbb{Z}[/itex], and we want to find a basis [itex]\mb{b}_i[/itex] of our reciprocal lattice such that for [itex]\mb{K}=\sum_i m_i\mb{b}_i, \ m_i\in \mathbb{Z}[/itex] we have [itex]\mb{K}\cdot\mb{R}=2\pi l, \ l\in \mathbb{Z}[/itex], which means [itex]e^{iK\cdot R}=1[/itex]. It is quite easy to see that this is satisfied if [itex]a_i\cdot b_j=2\pi \delta_{ij}[/itex]. Problem is just to find [itex]b_i[/itex] which satisfy this condition. A vector [itex]a_1\times a_2[/itex] will be orthogonal to both [itex]a_1[/itex] and [itex]a_2[/itex] so it makes sense to define [tex]b_3 \propto a_1\times a_2[/tex] since it will naturally give you [itex]a_i\cdot b_3\propto \delta_{i3}[/itex] and so on. The rest is just a matter of finding the correct normalization, which I leave to you.

Last edited:

Hi there,

The proof you are trying to show is the relationship between the reciprocal lattice vectors and the real space lattice vectors. To understand this relationship, we need to first understand the concept of reciprocal lattice.

Reciprocal lattice is a mathematical construct that is used to describe the periodicity of a crystal in reciprocal space. It is defined as the set of all wave vectors that can be diffracted by the crystal. The reciprocal lattice vectors are perpendicular to the real space lattice vectors and are defined as:

b1 = 2*pi*(a2*a3)/(a1*(a2 x a3))
b2 = 2*pi*(a3*a1)/(a2*(a3 x a1))
b3 = 2*pi*(a1*a2)/(a3*(a1 x a2))

where a1, a2, and a3 are the real space lattice vectors.

Now, let's look at the first equation you mentioned:

K.R = 0

This equation tells us that the dot product of the reciprocal lattice vector K with the real space lattice vector R is equal to zero. This means that K and R are perpendicular to each other, which is true for all reciprocal lattice vectors.

Next, we can use the Kronecker delta to rewrite this equation as:

K.R = δij, where δij is the Kronecker delta function.

Now, if we substitute the expressions for b1, b2, and b3 into this equation, we get:

2*pi*(a2*a3)/(a1*(a2 x a3)) * R = δij

This equation can be rewritten as:

2*pi*(a2*a3)/(a1*(a2 x a3)) * (a1*i + a2*j + a3*k) = δij

where i, j, and k are the unit vectors along the x, y, and z directions, respectively.

Now, if we consider the dot product of the reciprocal lattice vector b1 with the real space lattice vector a1, we get:

b1.a1 = 2*pi*(a2*a3)/(a1*(a2 x a3)) * (a1*i + a2*j + a3*k) . a1

= 2*pi*(a2*a3)/(a1*(a2 x a3)) * (a1*a1) = 2*pi

Similarly, we can show that b2

1. What is a reciprocal lattice?

A reciprocal lattice is a mathematical construct used to describe the periodicity of a crystal lattice in terms of its reciprocal space. It is the Fourier transform of the direct lattice and is used in the analysis of diffraction patterns.

2. How is the reciprocal lattice related to the direct lattice?

The reciprocal lattice is a mathematical dual of the direct lattice, meaning that it represents the same physical information but in a different mathematical form. It is related to the direct lattice through the reciprocal lattice vector which is perpendicular to the direct lattice plane.

3. What is the proof for the existence of a reciprocal lattice?

The proof for the existence of a reciprocal lattice is based on the concept of Bragg's law, which states that the scattering of waves by a crystal lattice will result in constructive interference if the wavelength of the incident wave is equal to the lattice spacing. By applying this law to a crystal lattice, it can be shown that a reciprocal lattice must exist.

4. What is the importance of the reciprocal lattice in crystallography?

The reciprocal lattice is essential in the analysis of crystal structures and diffraction patterns. It allows for the determination of crystal structures and their orientation in space, as well as the calculation of lattice parameters and the identification of crystal planes.

5. Can the reciprocal lattice be measured experimentally?

Yes, the reciprocal lattice can be measured experimentally through the use of diffraction techniques such as X-ray diffraction or electron diffraction. These diffraction patterns can then be used to determine the reciprocal lattice vectors and, consequently, the structure of the crystal lattice.