1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Reciprocal lattice

1. Sep 4, 2006 #1
    I know this might be a really stupid question, but to convert a crystal lattice 2D representation to a 2D reciprocal lattice do you justdo you just invert the scaling. I know this is a pretty poor explanation so I will try and illustrate what I mean.

Let's say that you have a reciprocal lattice like the one below:

. 020 . 120 . 220

. 010 . 110 . 210

. 000 . 100 . 200

. 25 nm^-1

Is the crystal lattice just a similar drawing with the spacing inverted, that is, 4 nm??? By the way the above diagram is meant to have the vertical and horizontal spacings equal so they are both 0.25 nm^-1.

I'm sorry but I just haven't really found anything on this at all and I'm preparing for my test this week. The only example question I could find was converting from reciprocal lattice to crystal lattice, but I imagine the process will be the same if you were trying to convert from crystal lattice to a reciprocal lattice.

Thanks for any assistance.
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 4, 2006 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

To find the reciprocal lattice vectors you use the following equation.

[tex] \mathbf{b_1} = 2\pi \frac{\mathbf{a}_2 \times \mathbf{a}_3} {\mathbf {a}_1 \cdot \mathbf{a}_2 \times \mathbf{a}_3} [/tex]

For a 2D case the vector [tex] \mathbf{a}_3[/tex] becomes just the z unit vector.

To get the vector [tex]\mathbf{b}_2[/tex] you just cyclically permute the numerator.

You are of course correct that the unit of the reciprocal lattice is length-1 but its a little more complicated than simply inverting the lengths.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?