1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Reciprocal of cos?

1. Nov 29, 2015 #1
    Why 1 divided by cos(pi/4)=cos(-pi/4)?
    Is it wrong to say 1/cos(pi/4)=sec(pi/4)?

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 29, 2015 #2
    Hi ryan:

Is it wrong to say 1/cos(pi/4)=sec(pi/4)?​
    1/cos(pi/4)=sec(pi/4) is correct.

Why 1 divided by cos(pi/4)=cos(-pi/4)?​
    I think you are asking: Why is the following correct?
    1/cos(pi/4) = 1/cos(-pi/4)?​
    If this is what you are asking, the reason that is correct is because
    cos(pi/4) = cos(-pi/4),​
    which is because
    the cos function is symmetrical,​
    and because
    the reciprocal of two equal numbers will be equal.​

I hope this is helpful.

BTW: The title of the thread does not match your question. The inverse of the cos is the arccos, which is not the same as the reciprocal, 1/cos.

Regards,
    Buzz

Last edited: Nov 29, 2015
  4. Nov 29, 2015 #3
    Thanks you

5. Nov 29, 2015 #4

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

The thread title is now "Reciprocal of cos".

6. Dec 1, 2015 #5
    Hello,

1/cos(pi/4) is not equal to cos(-pi/4). Cos(-pi/4) is equal to cos(pi/4). It is because cos function is an even function and it produces same answer to negative and positive values. I can give you a simple reason that 0 and 2pi is same in angles and 0-pi/4 is same as 2pi-pi/4 if you see graph paper, rotate a line from positive X-axis in anti-clock wise direction it lies in fourth quadrant. Now, you see x co-ordinate is positive and hypotenuse is length so it's positive. Hence, base/hypotenuse is positive.

I hope this one helps and if any other query regarding my answer please ask.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook