Recognizing Drug Abuse Symptoms

• Medical
  • Thread starter DaveC426913
  • Start date
In summary, this young woman I know has had a history of drug abuse, including Oxycodone and cocaine. She apparently kicked the cocaine habit but began taking Oxycodone for pain. The doctors believed she was abusing her perscription and refused to give her more. The grapevine said that she started getting it from a dealer. She has lost a fair amount of weight in the last 8 months or so. Enough that she now has prominent cheekbones and prominent hip bones and her skin is thin on her face. I thought that wasting was a sign of Oxycodone but, in reading about it, I don't see anything about it. So now I'm not sure what's causing the weight loss. Her and her
DaveC426913
Gold Member
This young woman I know has had a history with drugs, including Oxycodone and cocaine.

She apparently kicked the cocaine habit but began taking Oxycodone for pain. The doctors believed she was abusing her perscription and refused to give her more. The grapevine said that she started getting it from a dealer.

She has lost a fair amount of weight in the last 8 months or so. Enough that she now has prominent cheekbones and prominent hip bones and her skin is thin on her face.

I thought that wasting was a sign of oxycondone but, in reading about it, I don't see anything about it. So now I'm not sure what's causing the weight loss.

She and her boyfriend tend to be full of energy, sometimes even hyped up, which points me back to cocaine.

He has lost some weight, but looks healthy (went from portly to normal). That is consistent with the fact that he's been dirt poor for the last 6 months.

Other than her wasting, I don't detect other symptoms.

If not Oxycodone, what should I be looking into?

Biology news on Phys.org
This is a very sensitive issue. I think discussing with a doctor personally would be better. However from what i heard is that drug abusers have poor nutrition and there are a host of infections has to be checked for .

Also why was she given prescription of oxycodone (even when she had a history of drug abuse ) ? what kind of pain or condition she has ?

Ugh, Dave, your friend(s) may have an amphetamine problem...it's awful, sorry to hear it.

http://www.drug-addiction-support.org/Amphetamine-Abuse-Symptoms.html

I have several family members who struggle with this. If I can give some unsolicited advice (which you probably already know but just in case)...be very careful when interacting with them! An addict will reach out to you, and you will think they are asking for help. But in fact they aren't trying to pull themselves up -- they are trying to pull you down. When dealing with addicts you have to keep arm's distance away, emotionally. This makes it hard for you to support them but an addict doesn't really want your support, they just want their stuff.

It is a sensitive issue, yes. But I don't actually know what the issue is.

I was genuinely surprised that the drug of choice does not seem to have weight loss as a symptom. So at this point, I simply want to do some research.

thorium1010 said:
Also why was she given prescription of oxycodone (even when she had a history of drug abuse ) ? what kind of pain or condition she has ?
She injured her back.

lisab said:
An addict will reach out to you, and you will think they are asking for help. But in fact they aren't trying to pull themselves up -- they are trying to pull you down. When dealing with addicts you have to keep arm's distance away, emotionally. This makes it hard for you to support them but an addict doesn't really want your support, they just want their stuff.

Yes. So far, they have been very good. Despite having unsupervised access to our house, and even knowing where (some) cash is kept, we have not had problems. It is a kind of test. So far, they're passing. This gives us hope that maybe I'm pessimistic about what I'm seeing.

Last edited:
Don't know, Dave. Meth is a huge problem in this area, since it is cheaper and easier to source than coke. It's common to see people dropping weight and visibly aging over the course of 6 months or so. Not pretty. Around here, it would be hard for a person with a normal income to get that much coke, but meth addiction is quite possible.

Drug addiction is like alcohol addiction. People who are addicted have a poor way of coping with life. Drugs themselves such as cocaine and codone are not appetite suppressants like amphetamines. But nevertheless it alters the brain chemistry such as increased craving, poor judgment and they usually from what i heard, majority of the cases have very poor nutrition (cause of weight loss).

thorium1010 said:
Drug addiction is like alcohol addiction. People who are addicted have a poor way of coping with life. Drugs themselves such as cocaine and codone are not appetite suppressants like amphetamines. But nevertheless it alters the brain chemistry such as increased craving, poor judgment and they usually from what i heard, majority of the cases have very poor nutrition (cause of weight loss).

This is pretty true.To the original poster, if you suspect your friend is on opiates they'd most likely show one of these key signs:

a) Constricted pupils
b) Itching, particularly of the nose (in my experience)
c) Droopy eye lids or difficulty keeping eyes open

I'm not claiming these are tell-tale signs, but as someone who has a lot of experience with recreational opiate use and friends and a partner that became addicted, I am pretty familiar with what an opiated person looks like.Be careful about the conclusions you come to and how you approach the situation.

SeeFeelTime said:
a) Constricted pupils
b) Itching, particularly of the nose (in my experience)
c) Droopy eye lids or difficulty keeping eyes open
Have not been able to check pupils. Doesn't seem to have a nose problem (that'd be an obvious one to spot since I'm looking for signs of coke use).

My wife wonders if it's plain ol' depression. That would certainly be warranted. Her dad's still dead; she's dirt poor and working a miserable job.

However, depression requires the assumption that she has a] given up drugs, then b] continued to be depressed without resorting back to them.

my brother got addicted to pain killers. can't remember if it was the carpal tunnel surgery or back problems, but they're both issues. the way off the painkiller addiction was methadone treatment. methadone alleviates the urge to self-medicate, relieves the irritability and general sh*ttiness to other people that withdrawal brings, and induces one to eat copious amounts of Little Debbie snack cakes. he started weaning himself from it and kicked it altogether a year ago. now, he's fairly thin.

a lot of drugs can make you thinner, including nicotine.

but why don't you just ask her?

Proton Soup said:
but why don't you just ask her?
Well, the last time I asked her anything, such as "please do not bring cocaine into my house" she wouldn't set foot in my house for about a year. Now, we've gottern her to the point of actually sitting down at our table.

I think I will possibly express some concern over her weight loss. Unfortunately, she will have a pat excuse all ready. ("My mom took my car away, now I walk everywhere.") And that will be the end of it. How does one say "Well, no, I think you may be depressed", in a way that elicits conversation instead of mortification?

Ideally, I'd like to be able to offer to pay for counselling, but that's premature.

DaveC426913 said:
Well, the last time I asked her anything, such as "please do not bring cocaine into my house" she wouldn't set foot in my house for about a year. Now, we've gottern her to the point of actually sitting down at our table.

I think I will possibly express some concern over her weight loss. Unfortunately, she will have a pat excuse all ready. ("My mom took my car away, now I walk everywhere.") And that will be the end of it. How does one say "Well, no, I think you may be depressed", in a way that elicits conversation instead of mortification?

Ideally, I'd like to be able to offer to pay for counselling, but that's premature.

Regarding the post about itching and opiates: itching is also a symptom of meth addiction. This is why some meth addicts have open sores everywhere - they're from uncontrolled itching :yuck: :frown:.

I can see you're in a delicate situation...if you confront her too directly, she'll bolt. How about something like, "I'm concerned about your health; how are things going with you? How are you sleeping these days?" Just to show concern and leave the door open to further conversation.

Dave,

Nice to see you are concerned but cautious in your attempt to be of help in this difficult situation. I have used hydrocodone in the past for pain from kidney stones, and when it wears off, usually 4 to 6 hours later, a side effect is itchiness is some thing I could do without but a small price to pay for the relief provided. Best of luck.

Rhody... :smile:

Dave,

Hyped up and losing weight would point me to meth or speed. I worked with a crystal meth user years ago and that was him to a tea. If they also talk about staying up for days at a time, there aren't many other places to look.

Borg said:
Hyped up and losing weight would point me to meth or speed. I worked with a crystal meth user years ago and that was him to a tea. If they also talk about staying up for days at a time, there aren't many other places to look.

Well, not hyped up. They're active and loud and moving around a lot. They're like that. But contrast that with low energy, sleepy or tired. It's a bit of a drain when they drop by for, like, 20 minutes.

But they have never mentioned lack of sleep. In fact, they're usually very late risers.

How close are you to her? If you're really concerned then ask and evaluate how she responds.

Meth users tend to develop dental problems due to dry-mouth. One of my co-workers at a former job had teeth that were just discolored stubs. Nice enough guy, but his habit really laid him low in several ways.

lisab said:
Regarding the post about itching and opiates: itching is also a symptom of meth addiction. This is why some meth addicts have open sores everywhere - they're from uncontrolled itching :yuck: :frown:.

I can see you're in a delicate situation...if you confront her too directly, she'll bolt. How about something like, "I'm concerned about your health; how are things going with you? How are you sleeping these days?" Just to show concern and leave the door open to further conversation.

it is indeed tricky. i think you've got to be able to be non-preachy and non-judgemental and mean it, which ain't easy. you've got to offer help without being confrontational as you say.

dave, you also considering mania/bipolar ?

thorium1010 said:

Even smoking is a better appetite suppressant than coke, or for that matter, many other drugs.

Last edited:
DaveC426913 said:
This young woman I know has had a history with drugs, including Oxycodone and cocaine.

She apparently kicked the cocaine habit but began taking Oxycodone for pain. The doctors believed she was abusing her perscription and refused to give her more. The grapevine said that she started getting it from a dealer.

She has lost a fair amount of weight in the last 8 months or so. Enough that she now has prominent cheekbones and prominent hip bones and her skin is thin on her face.

I thought that wasting was a sign of oxycondone but, in reading about it, I don't see anything about it. So now I'm not sure what's causing the weight loss.

She and her boyfriend tend to be full of energy, sometimes even hyped up, which points me back to cocaine.

He has lost some weight, but looks healthy (went from portly to normal). That is consistent with the fact that he's been dirt poor for the last 6 months.

Other than her wasting, I don't detect other symptoms.

http://podcast.ucsd.edu/podcasts/rss.aspx?podcastId=870&v=1"

Enjoy.

Last edited by a moderator:
DaveC426913 said:
It'd be swell if you could take a moment to label your link.
Cmon Dan,

We have traded ideas on this and other forums for awhile, honestly, and don't take this the wrong way, but you seem like a really smart (but slightly lazy guy). I know you have a whole lot more to say, with good information and real labeled links to back it up. This is a serious important subject.

Rhody...

rhody said:
Cmon Dan,

We have traded ideas on this and other forums for awhile, honestly, and don't take this the wrong way, but you seem like a really smart (but slightly lazy guy). I know you have a whole lot more to say, with good information and real labeled links to back it up. This is a serious important subject.

Rhody...

I don't take it the wrong way Rhody. I like ppl like you.

Chance favors indeed =)

DaveC426913 said:

He has lost some weight, but looks healthy (went from portly to normal). That is consistent with the fact that he's been dirt poor for the last 6 months.Other than her wasting, I don't detect other symptoms.

If you want my personal advice, let her be is she 18? is she 21? Well, to tell you the truth while you may not want her to do oxycodone or cocaine it's her choice she choose to do it and if she wants to seek medical treatment she very easily can. You can not help those who don't wish to be helped, and simply because what she wants to do may not seem socially acceptable it's her choice and she can live the way she wants.

Don't you have a right to your body and what you put in it? Ultimately it's her decision and while sitting back and watching someone spiral into what you consider their demise may not be at all easy it's generally what they want.

Obviously you want to help and you can if one day she decides that she doesn't want to do it anymore you'll be there ON THAT DAY

1. What are some common physical signs of drug abuse?

Some common physical signs of drug abuse include changes in appetite, weight loss or gain, abnormal pupil size, bloodshot eyes, and changes in sleep patterns. Other physical signs may include frequent nosebleeds, trembling hands, and slurred speech.

2. How can I recognize behavioral symptoms of drug abuse?

Behavioral symptoms of drug abuse can include sudden changes in mood or personality, increased secrecy and lying, neglecting responsibilities, and engaging in risky behaviors. Other behavioral symptoms may include a loss of interest in previously enjoyed activities, withdrawal from friends and family, and sudden financial problems.

3. What are some warning signs of drug abuse in teenagers?

Some warning signs of drug abuse in teenagers include changes in behavior or academic performance, sudden changes in friends or social groups, and a loss of interest in personal appearance. Other warning signs may include increased secrecy, unexplained absences or lying, and changes in mood or sleep patterns.

4. How can I tell if someone is addicted to drugs?

Addiction to drugs can be recognized by certain behavioral and physical symptoms. These may include an inability to stop using the drug despite negative consequences, intense cravings for the drug, and experiencing withdrawal symptoms when trying to quit. Other signs of addiction may include neglecting responsibilities and relationships, and a focus on obtaining and using drugs over other important aspects of life.

5. What should I do if I suspect someone I know is struggling with drug abuse?

If you suspect someone you know is struggling with drug abuse, it is important to approach the situation with care and compassion. Express your concerns and offer support, and encourage them to seek professional help. It is also important to educate yourself on resources and treatment options available for drug abuse. Remember to prioritize your own well-being and seek support for yourself as well.