Recoil energy and Heisenberg Uncertainty principal

In summary: The Rhydberg formula gives an Ionization energy, which is the amount of energy needed to remove an electron from an atom. This energy is in the 10^-18 J range.
amb123
I need to prove that the act of measuring exactly the position of an electron would change its orbit.

change in position x change in momentum = h

the limit would suggest that knowing the location exactly would set the change in momentum p= h

What is the formula that relates energy above a quantity with changing orbits? I saw that the Rhydberg formula gives an Ionization energy, I am thinking that if I can prove that the energy change due to measurement is at least equal to this quantity then I have proven a change in orbit. Is this correct? I have found this energy to be in the 10^-18 J range, any ideas on what I can look at to figure this out? I have spent so much time on this and still have nothing more than qualitative answer that is given by the Heisenberg principal.

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
-A

Physics news on Phys.org
Orbits are wavefuction density of electrons in an atom . With each electron is associated a spatial distribution within an atom.So HUP assigns that , at a given instant you can only determine one of the aspects out of position and momentum precisely . For an accurate knowledge of position , you have to sacrifice your knowledge about the associated momentum. Because there are only some premissible values of energy are allowed for an electron , so whenever there is some disturbance in the environment of an electron , it is transmitted and absorbed by the electron , and if that disturbance is ramnant enough to provide the minimum possible energy for an electron to make a transition , it will . So the "act of measuring " the position/momentum will always lead to a disturbance.

BJ

"it is transmitted and absorbed by the electron , and if that disturbance is ramnant enough to provide the minimum possible energy for an electron to make a transition , it will ."

Yes, I think I'm actually getting a little closer to solving this (after hours of trying..) I will update tomorrow. This is interesting stuff, I wish I was better with it (and it will be a detriment to me if I don't become better really quickly!)

thx.
-A

1. What is recoil energy?

Recoil energy refers to the kinetic energy of a particle or object that is dispersed when another particle or object is ejected or recoils from a collision or interaction.

2. How is recoil energy related to the Heisenberg uncertainty principle?

The Heisenberg uncertainty principle states that there is a fundamental limit to the precision with which certain pairs of physical properties of a particle, such as position and momentum, can be known simultaneously. This means that the more precisely we know the position of a particle, the less precisely we can know its momentum. In the case of recoil energy, the uncertainty in the momentum of a particle that is recoiling from a collision results in a corresponding uncertainty in its kinetic energy.

3. Can recoil energy be measured and calculated?

Yes, recoil energy can be measured and calculated using various techniques and equations, such as the conservation of momentum and energy equations. It is an important factor to consider in many physical processes, such as in nuclear reactions and particle collisions.

4. How does the mass of a particle affect its recoil energy?

The mass of a particle does not directly affect its recoil energy, but it does indirectly affect it through its momentum. Heavier particles will have a greater momentum and therefore a higher recoil energy compared to lighter particles in the same situation.

5. What are some real-world applications of recoil energy and the Heisenberg uncertainty principle?

Recoil energy and the Heisenberg uncertainty principle have many real-world applications, including in particle accelerators, nuclear reactors, and atomic and molecular spectroscopy. They also play a crucial role in understanding and predicting the behavior of subatomic particles and systems.