Calculate energy and momentum of a hydrogen atom in a photon emission transition

In summary, the photon has a momentum of 6.81x10^{-27} kg/m/s. The recoil energy of the hydrogen atom is 1.39x10^{-26} Joules.
rayman123

Homework Statement

'
Calculate the recoil energy and velocity of a hydrogen atom in a transition from n=4 to n=1 in which a photon is emitted

Homework Equations

I started with calculating the energy of the emitten photon.
[tex] E_{photon}= \frac{-16.6 eV}{n^2}-\frac{-13.6 eV}{n^2}=\frac{-13.6}{16}+13.6= 12.75 eV[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

having calculated the energy of the emitted photon i can calculate its momentum
[tex] p= \frac{E_{photon}}{c}=\frac{2.04\cdot10^{-18}}{3\cdot10^8}=6.81\cdot10^{-27}\frac{kg\cdot m}{s}[/tex]

Homework Statement

can this be relevant? can the emitted photons momentum be so small? how to solve this problem?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, the photon's momentum is really that small.

Has your class discussed any conservation laws lately? You can think of this as a collision-like problem involving the hydrogen atom and the photon.

ah okej,i might have mixed up the velocity with the momentum but know i know
Yes we had classes in conservation laws and i remember from it that in an isolated system with only two objects, the change in momentum of one object must be equal and opposite to the change in momentum of the other object so that could mean that momentum of the photon is the same as the momentum of the hydrogen atom is that right?

in that case non-relativistic momentum for the hydrogen atom will be
[tex] p= m\cdot v[/tex] where m-the hydrogen atom mass, v-its velocity

from this i can calculate the velocity of the hydrogen atom
[tex] v=\frac{p}{m}= \frac{6.81\cdot 10^{-27}}{1.67\cdot 10^{-27}} = 4.078\frac{m}{s}[/tex]

recoil energy of the hydrogen atom will be
[tex] E_{recoil}= \frac{mv^2}{2}=\frac{1.67\cdot10^{-27}\cdot(4.078)^2}{2}=1.39\cdot10^{-26} J[/tex]

is that a correct solution?

Last edited:
Looks good!

Sorry for not replying sooner, somehow I missed the notification that you had posted again.

thank you!;)

1. What is recoil energy?

Recoil energy is the kinetic energy that is transferred to a firearm when it is fired. It is caused by the force of the expanding gas propelling the bullet out of the barrel.

2. How is recoil energy measured?

Recoil energy is typically measured in joules (J) or foot-pounds (ft-lb). It can be calculated by multiplying the mass of the bullet by the square of its velocity and dividing by 2.

3. What factors affect recoil energy?

The main factors that affect recoil energy are the mass of the bullet, the velocity of the bullet, and the weight of the firearm. The type of propellant and the design of the firearm can also play a role.

4. What is the relationship between recoil energy and velocity?

The recoil energy and velocity of a firearm are directly proportional. This means that as the velocity of the bullet increases, so does the recoil energy. A firearm with a higher velocity will have a greater recoil energy compared to one with a lower velocity.

5. How does recoil energy affect shooting accuracy?

Recoil energy can affect shooting accuracy by causing the firearm to move or "kick" after firing, which can throw off the shooter's aim. This is why it is important for shooters to have proper form and technique to manage the recoil energy of their firearm.