What is the correction to the wavelength of an emitted photon due to recoil?

• Thread starter kent davidge
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Atom Speed
In summary, when a photon is emitted by an atom, the atom must recoil to conserve momentum, resulting in a shared transition energy between the photon and the recoiling atom. The correction to the wavelength of the emitted photon due to recoil is very small and can be approximated by h/2mc, where h is Planck's constant, m is the mass of the atom, and c is the speed of light. This correction is also equivalent to the change in wavelength in Compton scattering when the angle of the "new" wavelength is the same as the "older" wavelength.
kent davidge

Homework Statement

When a photon is emitted by an atom, the atom must recoil to conserve momentum. This means that the photon and the recoiling atom share the transition energy. (a) For an atom with mass m, calculate the correction Δλ due to recoil to the wavelength of an emitted photon. Let λ be the wavelength of the photon if recoil is not taken into consideration. (Hint: The correction is very small, so use this fact to obtain an approximate but very accurate expression for Δλ.)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
E = energy of system
E' = energy of the photon
K = kinetic energy of the atom
Conservation of energy gives: Einitial = Efinal
0 = K + E'
0.5 x mv² = - (hc / λ)

By conservation of momentum:
0 = pphoton + patom
mv = - (h / λ)

Solving the above equations, we get:
λ = h / 2mc

The book's answer is h / 2mc. The problem is that the speed found here is twice greater than c. :H

Physics news on Phys.org
This isn't correct. It's true that the momenta of the photon and the atom are equal and opposite. But it isn't true that the energy of the photon is equal to the energy of the atom. In fact the energy of the atom is much less than the energy of the photon. You are supposed to calculate how much the emitted energy of the photon is reduced by the momentum carried by the atom as compared to the energy of the photon if the atom doesn't carry away any energy.

Likes kent davidge
I noticed that the equation for Δλ in this case is the same as for Compton scattering if we take angles such as the direction of our "new" wavelength is the same as the "older" wavelength. I've tried working this problem several different ways and I don't get the Δλ. :cry: It's annoying.

kent davidge said:
I've tried working this problem several different ways.
Perhaps you could post one.
Did you understand phyzguy's comment? Do you have some revisions as a result?

Likes kent davidge
phyzguy thank you for remembering me that the change in the wavelength is due to the change in the energy.
haruspex I think what I posted below is finally the correct answer.

I got it

Eatom before = Eatom final + Ephoton
(mc² - pphotonc)² = (mc²)² + (patomc)²
pphoton / 2mc = -(patom² / pphoton2mc) + 1
Using the fact that the momentum of the atom is equal to the negative momentum of the photon and p = h / λ, results:
λ = h / mc
Now, the atom doesn't move at all:
pphoton / 2mc = -0 + 1
and
λ' = h / 2mc

|Δλ| is then λ' - λ = h / 2mc.

Last edited:

1. What is the recoil speed of an atom?

The recoil speed of an atom refers to the velocity at which the atom moves after absorbing or emitting a photon or other particle. It is a result of the conservation of momentum, where the atom gains or loses momentum in the opposite direction of the photon or particle.

2. How is the recoil speed of an atom calculated?

The recoil speed of an atom can be calculated using the equation: v = h/2m (lambda), where v is the recoil speed, h is Planck's constant, m is the mass of the atom, and lambda is the wavelength of the absorbed or emitted photon or particle.

3. What factors can affect the recoil speed of an atom?

The recoil speed of an atom can be affected by several factors such as the mass of the atom, the energy of the absorbed or emitted photon or particle, and the direction and angle of the photon or particle's motion relative to the atom.

4. Why is the recoil speed of an atom important in physics?

The recoil speed of an atom is important in physics because it helps to explain the behavior of atoms and their interactions with light and other particles. It is also a fundamental concept in the study of quantum mechanics and is used in various applications such as laser cooling and trapping.

5. Can the recoil speed of an atom be measured?

Yes, the recoil speed of an atom can be measured using various experimental techniques such as laser spectroscopy or time-of-flight measurements. These methods allow scientists to accurately determine the recoil speed and study its effects on the atom's behavior and properties.