What is the Acceleration of an Inclined Plane due to Recoiling Block?

In summary, the problem involves finding the acceleration of a block on an inclined plane without friction, using a non-inertial reference frame. The equations of motion for the block and plane can be combined to solve for the acceleration of the plane, which is found to be negative in the given solution. However, there is no indication of a preferred direction in the problem statement, and the answer could also be positive depending on how the positive direction is defined.
WannabeNewton
Science Advisor

Homework Statement

A block of mass m is on an inclined plane of mass M, inclined at angle θ, and slides on the plane without friction. Find the acceleration of the plane.

The Attempt at a Solution

I am using the usual cartesian coordinate system with no rotations and letting up and forward be the positive directions. Let A be the acceleration of the plane as it accelerates backwards from the recoil due to the moving block. Define a non - inertial reference frame that is co - moving with the plane. The equations of motion for the block in this frame are [itex]m\ddot{y} = Ncos\theta - mg[/itex],[itex]m\ddot{x} = F_{apparent} = Nsin\theta - mA[/itex] and we have, in this co - moving frame, the constraint [itex]\ddot{y} = -tan\theta \ddot{x}[/itex]. The equation of motion for the plane in this frame is [itex]0 = F'_{apparent} = -Nsin\theta - MA[/itex]. Combining the equations for the block we get that [itex]N = mgcos\theta + mAsin\theta [/itex] so [itex]MA = -Nsin\theta = -mgcos\theta sin\theta - mAsin^{2}\theta [/itex] therefore [itex]A = -(\frac{mgcos\theta sin\theta }{M + msin^{2}\theta })[/itex]. The book has the same answer except it is positive. I'm not sure why mine is negative. They don't really list if they are taking the backwards direction to be positive or not so I don't know if that is all there is to the issue. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Isaac
There is nothing in the statement that would give you a preferred direction, I read it as finding the magnitude of the acceleration of the plane. Otherwise, since the acceleration is a vector in the end, you could as well wonder about which component is which.
So I don't think there is any issue at all, you solved the problem :)

Assuming you have exactly reproduced the statement of the problem from the book, I would guess you are supposed to take the positive direction as being whichever way the wedge moves. You say you let "up and forward be the positive directions", but you don't say forward for which object. If you meant forward for the block then you would expect a negative result for the wedge.
(Good job getting the right answer - easy to go wrong with a question like this.)

1. What is a recoiling inclined plane?

A recoiling inclined plane is a simple machine that consists of a flat surface that is inclined at an angle, along with a rolling object such as a ball. When the ball is placed on the inclined plane, gravity pulls it down and it rolls up the incline. However, due to the force of gravity, the ball will also roll back down the incline, causing a recoiling or bouncing motion.

2. What are the factors that affect the recoiling motion on an inclined plane?

The factors that affect the recoiling motion on an inclined plane include the angle of inclination, the height of the inclined plane, the mass and shape of the rolling object, and the force of gravity. These factors can be manipulated to change the speed, distance, and direction of the recoiling motion.

3. What are some real-life applications of a recoiling inclined plane?

A recoiling inclined plane can be found in various real-life applications, such as in playground slides, roller coasters, and conveyor belts. It is also used in sports equipment, such as a ramp for skateboarders or a ski jump for skiers. Additionally, it is used in engineering and construction to move heavy objects up or down an incline.

4. How does a recoiling inclined plane demonstrate the concept of potential and kinetic energy?

When a rolling object is placed on an inclined plane, it has potential energy due to its position above the ground. As it rolls down the incline, this potential energy is converted into kinetic energy, which is the energy of motion. When the object reaches the bottom of the incline, it has the most kinetic energy, but as it moves back up the incline, this kinetic energy is converted back into potential energy.

5. Can the recoiling motion be changed or stopped?

Yes, the recoiling motion on an inclined plane can be changed or stopped by altering the factors that affect it. For example, changing the angle of inclination or the mass of the rolling object can change the speed and distance of the recoiling motion. Additionally, adding friction or using a braking mechanism can stop the recoiling motion altogether.