Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Recomend a good chemistry text

1. Dec 2, 2007 #1
    I prematurely sold my general chemistry textbook, now I need a new one. I'm especially interested in acid base chemistry and something that will help me understand how electrodes work.

Can anyone recomend a readable general chem textbook? My last book was "General Chemistry: The Essential Concepts" by Chang and I found it difficult to read. At the same time I don't want something too dumbed down either.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 2, 2007 #2

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

Something by Mortimer; also something by Petrucci;

Also, check almost any analytical chemistry book, although you might want to check the contents including the actual chapter pages to see if it has the topics you want, sufficiently covered; my guess is that electrochemistry would be well covered in such a book. Maybe a Skoog & West book if you find a used one?

4. Dec 3, 2007 #3
    If you don't mind a high/senior school level textbook, I find 'Chemistry in Context' by Hill and Holman a great text to read. The concepts are explained clearly, and it CAN go into some advanced chemistry.

I thought Chang was OK, although it is not 'brilliant' or 'marvelous'.

5. Dec 3, 2007 #4
    I forgot to say I also wouldn't mind a book with lots of examples relating inorganic chemistry to biological systems

6. Dec 6, 2007 #5
    Yes "Chemistry Context" is very informative, i suggest that you have a look at it.

7. Dec 17, 2007 #6
    where could one find chemsitry in context, local libraies, college libaries, ect...? (i'm a high school student, not to many resources available)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?