1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Recomend a good chemistry text

1. Dec 2, 2007 #1
    I prematurely sold my general chemistry textbook, now I need a new one. I'm especially interested in acid base chemistry and something that will help me understand how electrodes work.

Can anyone recomend a readable general chem textbook? My last book was "General Chemistry: The Essential Concepts" by Chang and I found it difficult to read. At the same time I don't want something too dumbed down either.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 2, 2007 #2

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

Something by Mortimer; also something by Petrucci;

Also, check almost any analytical chemistry book, although you might want to check the contents including the actual chapter pages to see if it has the topics you want, sufficiently covered; my guess is that electrochemistry would be well covered in such a book. Maybe a Skoog & West book if you find a used one?

4. Dec 3, 2007 #3
    If you don't mind a high/senior school level textbook, I find 'Chemistry in Context' by Hill and Holman a great text to read. The concepts are explained clearly, and it CAN go into some advanced chemistry.

I thought Chang was OK, although it is not 'brilliant' or 'marvelous'.

5. Dec 3, 2007 #4
    I forgot to say I also wouldn't mind a book with lots of examples relating inorganic chemistry to biological systems

6. Dec 6, 2007 #5
    Yes "Chemistry Context" is very informative, i suggest that you have a look at it.

7. Dec 17, 2007 #6
    where could one find chemsitry in context, local libraies, college libaries, ect...? (i'm a high school student, not to many resources available)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?