Sick of Struggling? Discover Affordable 3D CG Software Under $300

• Thread starter DaveC426913
  • Start date
  • Tags
    3d
In summary, the conversation is about finding a good 3D computer graphics software that is not too expensive. The person is currently using Caligari Truspace 3 and is more interested in creating static 3D objects rather than animating them. They ask for recommendations and mention a budget of $300. Another person suggests looking at Blender, a free software, and asks for specifics on the type of 3D objects needed. They mention geometrical objects and provide a link for comparison of 3D tools. The conversation ends with the person thanking the other for the helpful information.
DaveC426913
Gold Member
I'm sick of struggling along in Caligari Truspace 3 for making 3D stuff.

Can anyone recommend some good 3D CG software that's not too expensive? I'm currently more interested in building creating static 3D objects than animating them.

What's not too expensive in 3D CG s/w these days? Is a budget under $300 reasonable?

Computer science news on Phys.org
Can you be more specific on what kind of 3D objects? and what kind of rendering needed?

Geometrical objects? Or more exotic?
Wireframe? Raytracing with reflections, transparency, and other optical effects? Photo-realistic? Image Mapping?

Yeah. Geometrical.

Spaceships, etc.

Rogerio said:
Take a look at
http://www.blender.org
It's free (GPL license).

Well, I'm not looking for free.

I've been using Truspace, so I want to go up from there. What do people use who are serious about 3D CG but can't afford the big bucks?

DaveC426913 said:
Well, I'm not looking for free.

Free is just a bonus.
In fact, it seems Blender is better than several others, including Truespace, for example.
(google: blender truespace comparing)

Anyway, take a look at http://wiki.cgsociety.org/index.php/Comparison_of_3d_tools . Maybe it can help.

Last edited:
Rogerio said:
Free is just a bonus.
In fact, it seems Blender is better than several others, including Truespace, for example.
(google: blender truespace comparing)

Anyway, take a look at http://wiki.cgsociety.org/index.php/Comparison_of_3d_tools . Maybe it can help.
Wow. Thanks!

What is 3D CG software?

3D CG software is a computer program that allows users to create and manipulate three-dimensional objects and scenes using computer graphics.

What are the benefits of using 3D CG software?

3D CG software allows for more realistic and detailed designs, making it a valuable tool for creating visual effects, animations, and video games. It also allows for more efficient and precise modeling, saving time and resources compared to traditional methods.

What are some examples of 3D CG software?

Some examples of 3D CG software include Autodesk Maya, 3ds Max, Cinema 4D, Blender, and ZBrush. Each software has its own unique features and strengths, so it is important to research and choose the best fit for your specific needs.

How do I choose the right 3D CG software?

When choosing the right 3D CG software, it is important to consider factors such as your budget, the type of projects you will be working on, your level of experience, and the software's compatibility with your hardware and operating system. It may also be helpful to read reviews and try out free trials before making a decision.

Do I need any special hardware to use 3D CG software?

Yes, 3D CG software often requires powerful hardware such as a high-end graphics card, a fast processor, and a large amount of RAM. It is important to check the minimum system requirements for the software you are considering to ensure your computer can handle it.