Which Book is Best for Learning Dynamics in Engineering Mechanics?

In summary: I used Engineering Mechanics: Dynamics by Andrew Pytel and Jaan Kiusalaas and I thought it was okay. It's going to be hell if you don't have a good vector calculus foundation.
Undergrad-ME
hi folks,I need ur recommendations on a good dynamics book or books.
thanks for replies

Engineering news on Phys.org
I used Vector Mechanics - Dynamics by BEER. It's a decent book with good number of example problems and tons of exercise problems to choose from.

Hibbeller also has good books on Dynamics.

Try to buy an old edition and you will save a lot. The material is same.

thanks for your contribution.
I'm currently using beer johnson 7th edition, I don't know, but for some reason I've found this book hard to read. It as if the author never get to the point.

FWIW, I used R.C. Hibbeler's static and dynamics. I think it was 3rd or 4th edition. I liked it because it had a lot of good pictures.

we hate Hibbeler at SIUE.. his mechanics book was pretty decent.. so was statics.. but the book for Dynamics needs more explanation, and more worked examples... because that class isn't as intuitive as some of the other stationary physics in mechanics/statics books for the wrote.

The Hibbeler's book is awesome. There are so many examples in there, and a tons of problems. You can pretty much learn the whole course by just looking at the examples.

except that most of the examples are fairly simple compared to the problems in the dynamics book...

batman394 said:
we hate Hibbeler at SIUE.. his mechanics book was pretty decent.. so was statics.. but the book for Dynamics needs more explanation, and more worked examples... because that class isn't as intuitive as some of the other stationary physics in mechanics/statics books for the wrote.
You know, now that you mention it, I think I felt the same way when I was in school when it came to the dynamics. I can always use more pictures though. That seems to be my number one gripe with any text.

I agree that Hibbeler was rather skimpy on the examples and that the level of difficulty was a rather big jump from example to homework at the end of the section. However, it is still a good book, but it requires that you have a STRONG foundation in statics, VERY strong.

problem was is.. i went from a poor physics and statics background to a demanding dynamics class.. because i had a statics professor that just did problems with no explanation.. and my physics professor for 2 semesters was a new guy and couldn't explani anything to us.

Does anyone have the solution manuals to the Hibbeler textbook?

The solutions manual is available via ebay.

i used Engineering Mechanics: Dynamics by Andrew Pytel and Jaan Kiusalaas, i thought it was ok, but it's going to be hell if you don't have a good vector calculus foundation.

1. What is the best dynamics book for beginners?

The best dynamics book for beginners would be "Introduction to Classical Mechanics" by David Morin. It provides a comprehensive introduction to the subject with clear explanations and examples.

2. Are there any dynamics books that focus on applications and real-world examples?

Yes, "Classical Dynamics of Particles and Systems" by Stephen T. Thornton and Jerry B. Marion is a popular book that focuses on applications and real-world examples. It covers a wide range of topics and includes numerous exercises and problems to reinforce the concepts.

3. Is there a dynamics book that covers both classical and modern dynamics?

"Classical and Modern Dynamics: From Newton to Einstein" by Martin W. McCall is a highly recommended book that covers both classical and modern dynamics. It provides a comprehensive overview of the subject and includes discussions on topics such as chaos theory and relativity.

4. What is the best advanced dynamics book for graduate students?

"Classical Dynamics: A Contemporary Approach" by Jorge V. José is a popular choice for graduate students. It covers advanced topics such as Lagrangian and Hamiltonian dynamics and provides a modern perspective on classical mechanics.

5. Are there any online resources for learning dynamics?

Yes, there are several online resources for learning dynamics. Some popular options include MIT's OpenCourseWare, Khan Academy, and Coursera. These platforms offer free courses and lectures on dynamics, as well as practice problems and quizzes to test your understanding.