Undergraduate Physics Book Recommendation

• Thread starter Bill Foster
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Book
In summary, the conversation covers recommendations for books to use for preparing for the GRE in physics. The books mentioned include "PHYSICS" by Hans C. Ohanian, University Physics with Modern Physics by Hugh D. Young and Roger A. Freedman, and a book by Halliday and Resnick. The conversation also mentions the importance of reviewing different subjects in physics, such as mechanics and quantum mechanics, and provides links to resources for preparing for the GRE in physics.
Bill Foster
that covers the fundamentals of undergraduate physics.

I have been using a book that's more than 20 years old called "PHYSICS" by Hans C. Ohanian. While using it to prepare for the GRE, I have found things on the practice exams that were not addressed in that book.

I've been considering this one: University Physics with Modern Physics with MasteringPhysics(TM) (12th Edition) (MasteringPhysics Series) (Hardcover)
by Hugh D. Young (Author), Roger A. Freedman (Author)

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
The books you name are freshman-level books. You need to review also from intermediate to upper level books in specific subjects such as mechanics, electricity & magnetism, thermodynamics, quantum mechanics, ...

For a long time I've been trying to remember the author of the physics book I used in undergrad school. The only thing I could rememebr about it was that it was black, and it seemed like a decent book.

Well, I went to those links above and found a book by Halliday and Resnick. In the deep recesses of my cluttered up storeroom memory, a light went on when I heard the name "Halliday". I'm pretty sure that was the author's name of my undergrad physics book.

I can remember my calculus book's author no problem. Zill.

What subject are you taking the GRE in?

marcusl said:
What subject are you taking the GRE in?

I took it November 3 in physics.

What are the top recommended undergraduate physics books?

Some popular choices among undergraduate students include "University Physics" by Young and Freedman, "Fundamentals of Physics" by Halliday and Resnick, and "Introduction to Electrodynamics" by Griffiths.

What are the key factors to consider when choosing an undergraduate physics book?

When selecting an undergraduate physics book, it is important to consider the level and depth of mathematical rigor, the clarity and organization of the material, and the relevance of the topics covered to your specific course or program.

Are there any online resources for finding undergraduate physics book recommendations?

Yes, there are several websites and forums dedicated to discussing and recommending undergraduate physics books. Some popular options include Physics Forums, Reddit's r/PhysicsStudents, and Goodreads' list of popular undergraduate physics books.

Do I need to stick to one specific undergraduate physics book for my studies?

No, it is not necessary to only use one specific undergraduate physics book. Often, different textbooks cover topics in slightly different ways, so using multiple resources can provide a more comprehensive understanding of the material.

Are there any specialized undergraduate physics books for certain subfields of physics?

Yes, there are many undergraduate physics books that focus on specific subfields such as quantum mechanics, astrophysics, or thermodynamics. It is important to choose a book that aligns with your interests and the specific topics covered in your course or program.