Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Recommend a good book

1. Nov 8, 2007 #1
    that covers the fundamentals of undergraduate physics.

I have been using a book that's more than 20 years old called "PHYSICS" by Hans C. Ohanian. While using it to prepare for the GRE, I have found things on the practice exams that were not addressed in that book.

I've been considering this one: University Physics with Modern Physics with MasteringPhysics(TM) (12th Edition) (MasteringPhysics Series) (Hardcover)
    by Hugh D. Young (Author), Roger A. Freedman (Author)

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 8, 2007 #2

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

The books you name are freshman-level books. You need to review also from intermediate to upper level books in specific subjects such as mechanics, electricity & magnetism, thermodynamics, quantum mechanics, ...

4. Nov 8, 2007 #3

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Last edited by a moderator: May 3, 2017
  5. Nov 9, 2007 #4
    For a long time I've been trying to remember the author of the physics book I used in undergrad school. The only thing I could rememebr about it was that it was black, and it seemed like a decent book.

Well, I went to those links above and found a book by Halliday and Resnick. In the deep recesses of my cluttered up storeroom memory, a light went on when I heard the name "Halliday". I'm pretty sure that was the author's name of my undergrad physics book.

I can remember my calculus book's author no problem. Zill.

6. Nov 9, 2007 #5

marcusl

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What subject are you taking the GRE in?

7. Nov 16, 2007 #6
    I took it November 3 in physics.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook