1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Recommend a good book

1. Nov 8, 2007 #1
    that covers the fundamentals of undergraduate physics.

I have been using a book that's more than 20 years old called "PHYSICS" by Hans C. Ohanian. While using it to prepare for the GRE, I have found things on the practice exams that were not addressed in that book.

I've been considering this one: University Physics with Modern Physics with MasteringPhysics(TM) (12th Edition) (MasteringPhysics Series) (Hardcover)
    by Hugh D. Young (Author), Roger A. Freedman (Author)

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 8, 2007 #2

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

The books you name are freshman-level books. You need to review also from intermediate to upper level books in specific subjects such as mechanics, electricity & magnetism, thermodynamics, quantum mechanics, ...

4. Nov 8, 2007 #3

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

5. Nov 9, 2007 #4
    For a long time I've been trying to remember the author of the physics book I used in undergrad school. The only thing I could rememebr about it was that it was black, and it seemed like a decent book.

Well, I went to those links above and found a book by Halliday and Resnick. In the deep recesses of my cluttered up storeroom memory, a light went on when I heard the name "Halliday". I'm pretty sure that was the author's name of my undergrad physics book.

I can remember my calculus book's author no problem. Zill.

6. Nov 9, 2007 #5

marcusl

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What subject are you taking the GRE in?

7. Nov 16, 2007 #6
    I took it November 3 in physics.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?