Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Recommend a text

1. Jul 25, 2007 #1
    I'm wondering if anyone here can recommend a good book on things like transformations, operators, bases, and vectorspaces. I had trouble with this subject matter when I took linear algebra, not just understaing the material but picturing it as well. Any recommendations appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 25, 2007 #2
    Nicalous Bourbaki

4. Jul 26, 2007 #3
    And the title of the book I should be looking for is?..

5. Jul 26, 2007 #4
    I'm not quite sure what level you're looking for, but I think Axler's Linear Algebra Done Right is pretty good. It's designed for an advanced undergraduate linear algebra course. It's pretty good at giving you a better understanding of the subject, but if you're looking more towards applying it (outside of mathematics), it may not be the right book for you.

6. Jul 26, 2007 #5
    I'm not looking to apply it so much, just to get a good understanding of it. Other students in my linear class seemed to grasp the concepts quite easily, I think it may be due to the fact that they had taken discrete mathematics, tho' I'm not too sure. I hate to ignore the material and to have a crude understanding of it. I appreciate the recommendation, I'll check it out.

7. Jul 26, 2007 #6

morphism

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?