1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Recommend any books?

1. Sep 4, 2004 #1
    Hi -

I am in an engineering physics class (level 1) and curious if there are any good books out there that you may recommend that would assist me learning physics such as ones that will explain the topics and concepts in plain english and has practice problems where the book will walk you through them.

Thanks for your time,
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 4, 2004 #2
    i am in the first semester of a 4 semester calculus based physics program (physics 1-4 then the fun stuff). for the first two semesters we're using matter and interactions I and II (modern mechanics and electricity and magnetism), which seem to be good books. all the reviews i've read of it insist that you learn whats going on rather than how to plug stuff into equations. i agree to a certain extent, but i don't think it has enough practice problems with answers (like math books).
  4. Sep 4, 2004 #3
    FYI, All -

I just invested about 50 dollars in these books. I shall let you know how effective they are.

Schaum's ouTlines College Physics 9th edition
    REA's Problem Solvers Physics
    Schaum's easy outlines College Physics
  5. Sep 4, 2004 #4
    I'm using Giancoli's Physics for Scientists and Engineers. It's the biggest most expensive book I've ever bought filled with tons of needless examples, pictures and what not. I use it mostly for the exercises (there are many).
  6. Sep 4, 2004 #5
    Is that kinda like Tipler's book with the same title (if you've heard of it)?
  7. Sep 5, 2004 #6
    I know there are other books out there with the same title. However, I can't comment on those.
  8. Sep 5, 2004 #7
    Buy sears and zemanskis University Physics by H. D Young. It is excillent.
  9. Sep 5, 2004 #8
    I do not recommend Fishbane's Physics for Scientists and Engineers.. so far, the explanations are thin (so are the examples).
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?