Good Physics Books: Quantum Evolution by Johnjoe McFadden

In summary: Bill, you can start with a book that will bring you up to speed on calculus and then move onto classical mechanics and electromagnetism at the AP level. Once you have mastered these subjects, you can move onto the recommended sequence of books on quantum mechanics. Overall, it is important to have a strong foundation in math and physics before delving into quantum mechanics.
The12thDoctor
What are some good books I could get that cover good physics. Quantum and the others, I have Quantum Evolution by Johnjoe McFadden, if that helps

Physics news on Phys.org
Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Bill, I'll check those out

I hope your math and physics foundations are sound. If not, you'll need to work on those first.

You'll need to have mastered calculus I, II, III and differential equations before seriously going into QM. A knowledge of LA would be really handy too.

For the physics side, you'll need to be familiar with classical mechanics and E&M.

If you don't meet these prereqs, then don't even bother with QM.

micromass said:
If you don't meet these prereqs, then don't even bother with QM.

I know the feeling.

But I do believe Susskinds books have filled a gap so that the serious student with less than optimal preparation can, with effort and determination, make progress.

Thanks
Bill

bhobba said:
I know the feeling.

But I do believe Susskinds books have filled a gap so that the serious student with less than optimal preparation can, with effort and determination, make progress.

Thanks
Bill

Sure, Susskind if very good. But I do hope you realize that the OP is 14 years old: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=742487

Thanks for pointing that out. I am 14 but I am advanced in Math and Science classes and skipped 9th grade classes and went to 10th. If that helps, what should I read?

The12thDoctor said:
Thanks for pointing that out. I am 14 but I am advanced in Math and Science classes and skipped 9th grade classes and went to 10th. If that helps, what should I read?

That doesn't tell us a lot, really. Can you tell us specifically what math and physics you know and what you are learning now?

In Math, I'm learning some calculus ( pre), in science is where there is an issue. You see, my school doesn't have an advanced physics class, we have advanced Bio. I'm in AP Bio, so my knowledge in Physics is from Seniors I know that are becoming Physicists. I've been reading physics stuff for a while now, and I've gone from Classical to Astro, and so on. But when I finally got to Quantum, I read everything I could get my hands on about it. So that's where I am know. I hope you understand I'm being really serious about this kind of stuff, I wouldn't want anyone to think I was just some kid who wanted homework help.

I've been into physics since 5th grade, but until this year I never was in contact with a physicist. I should have worded that better

If I asked you to calculate the magnetic vector potential and magnetic field of a uniformly rotating charged sphere would you be able to do it?

Yes Newton

I think what everyone is getting at is that if you want to read "popular science" books on Quantum Physics, then you are most likely at a level where you could begin to understand some of the qualitative aspects of the theory. However, if you want to actually be able to do computation, you need more math and physics, period.

From the math side, you need Calculus 1, 2, and 3, Ordinary Differential Equations, and Linear Algebra. For physics, I would at minimum recommend having classical mechanics and electromagnetism at the AP level (which is equivalent to college freshman level physics).

There are a range of books and methods to learn these topics (Khan Academy at least touches on all of them), but without the proper background, you will be lost with a real QM textbook.

Thanks, what books should I look into getting then

Yep. I wanted to learn QM. Then I realized that I knew almost nothing about physics. Now I'm satisfied with my classical mechanics and electromagnetism, as well as on my pre-calc.

Posting to find this thread later to see what people recommend for calculus, maths, etc.

The12thDoctor said:
Thanks, what books should I look into getting then

At what level have you studied classical mechanics and EM? If you can calculate the magnetic vector potential of a charged rotating sphere I assume you've done EM at least at the level of Griffiths. Have you seen boundary value problems? Do you know how to work with special functions (spherical harmonics, Legendre polynomials, Bessel functions etc.)?

Don't rush into QM. You should spend as much time as possible with classical mechanics and EM, especially EM. There's no incentive to rush through EM anyways; in my opinion it (EM) is a lot more fun to learn than QM and a lot more challenging at the textbook level.

If you are really serious then start with a book that will bring you up to speed on calculus:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0471827223/?tag=pfamazon01-20

I taught myself calculus at 14 and some advanced schools teach their good students calculus at that age.

Once you have done that then look into the Feynman Lectures:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0465023827/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Anyone with an interest in physics should have that three volume set.

Once you have gone through that you will be well and truly prepared for the sequence I outlined on QM.

Thanks
Bill

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks

What is the main concept discussed in "Quantum Evolution" by Johnjoe McFadden?

The main concept discussed in "Quantum Evolution" is how quantum mechanics plays a role in biological systems and the evolution of life on Earth.

Is "Quantum Evolution" a good resource for understanding the connection between quantum mechanics and biology?

Yes, "Quantum Evolution" is considered a highly informative and well-researched book that presents a comprehensive understanding of the relationship between quantum mechanics and biology.

What makes "Quantum Evolution" stand out from other books on the same topic?

One of the main factors that sets "Quantum Evolution" apart from other books on this topic is the author's ability to explain complex concepts in a clear and accessible manner, making it easier for readers to understand the key ideas.

Are there any prerequisites for reading "Quantum Evolution"?

While having a basic understanding of quantum mechanics and biology may be helpful, "Quantum Evolution" is written in a way that is accessible to both experts and non-experts in these fields.

What are some of the major takeaways from "Quantum Evolution"?

Some of the key takeaways from "Quantum Evolution" include the potential impact of quantum mechanics on the origins and development of life, the role of quantum coherence in biological systems, and how quantum biology may lead to new insights and applications in various fields.