1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quantum Recommendations for Textbooks

1. Jul 28, 2015 #1
    Hello All,

I was wondering if anybody could recommend some really good, graduate-level textbooks or sources on quantum field theory and antiparticles. I've browsed through several QFT titles, but if anyone has any books they think would be a good grad-level introduction I'd be grateful.

I'm also hoping to find a textbook devoted to anti-particles, but that has been a lot harder to find. At most I've only found a chapter or half a chapter here or there on the subject. Does anyone know of any books that deal with this topic in a rigorous fashion?

Thanks~

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 29, 2015 #2

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

I'd start with Ryder or Bailin-Love. More recently there's also the great book by Schwartz. For all the details after having a first introduction the best is Weinberg, Quantum Theory of Fields (3 vols.).

I don't know, what you mean by "rigorous". There's no fully rigorous treatment of QFT (at least not for realistic theories in 1+3 space-time dimensions). For a somewhat more rigorous treatment of perturbative QED, see Scharff, Finite Quantum Electrodynamics.

4. Jul 29, 2015 #3
    Thank you! Just to be clear, you're talking about 'Intro to Gauge Field Theory' and 'Quantum Field Theory and the Standard Model' right? Those sound like just what I was looking for.

What I meant was that I'm looking for something that's written for a technical or scientific audience. I've come across a lot of things that describe anti-particles in a quantitative way, or sort of give a general overview without delving into the minute details and mathematics. The work that I have managed to find that goes into detail mathematically has been limited to portions of chapters in larger books about particle physics, or something similar. I was hoping that there is a book out there that focuses on anti-particles specifically, but if one exists I haven't been able to find it.

5. Jul 30, 2015 #4

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

I think you should start with Schwartz. What do you mean by "specific focus on anti-particles"? As you'll learn soon, local microcausal relativistic QFT forces you to introduce particles and anti-particles. You can also manage to make special constraints on the fields such that a particle is its own anti-particle (like the photon).

6. Jul 30, 2015 #5

atyy

Science Advisor

Another set of notes by Schwartz, which are like a short version of his book is http://isites.harvard.edu/fs/docs/icb.topic521209.files/QFT-Schwartz.pdf.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted