Telescope recommendations for watching a galaxy?

In summary, if you are in a big city with bad light pollution, you should buy a go-to telescope or a manual one. If you live in a dark site or can car transport your telescope, you should buy a more expensive scope.
fbs7
I'm close to 60 years old now, and when I was a 12-14 years old kid my father had a small 50mm telescope -- I still remember how amazing the word "Tasco" looked back then! Back then I could watch the moon and Jupiter, although I was upset that Jupiter kept moving out of sight all the time. How I envied a friend that said he could watch Saturn with his bigger telescope!

I want to watch Saturn and a galaxy before I die - it's in my bucket list, haha... so what size of a telescope should I buy? Money's not really an issue, but I live in a big city (Raleigh-Durham) and light pollution is kinda bad here. Should I buy one of those go-to telescopes or a manual one? Will an attached camera make it easier to observe? Appreciate any insights.

"Happy is the one that watch a galaxy in a telescope!" :^)

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Why don't you hunt down your local astronomy club and ask them what sorts of things they look at and what equipment they use? I'll bet you'll get an invite to join them some evening to have a look-see at various things.

After a quick web search:

https://raleighastro.org/

It seems that they hold public viewing nights. Form there web site:

The Raleigh Astronomy Club holds several public observing sessions each year where we provide the telescopes and kids of all ages join in the fun. These events are free of charge - just come on out. Sometimes a blanket or lawn chair are useful for hanging out with us!
Astronomy clubs are generally very welcoming.

Likes Kevin the Crackpot, davenn and Klystron
fbs7 said:
I want to watch Saturn and a galaxy before I die - it's in my bucket list, haha... so what size of a telescope should I buy? Money's not really an issue, but I live in a big city (Raleigh-Durham) and light pollution is kinda bad here. Should I buy one of those go-to telescopes or a manual one? Will an attached camera make it easier to observe? Appreciate any insights
Hi fbs7

Close to 60 huh ... me too ... next July for me. I have been doing astronomy for the last 50 years. got my first scope, just a small spotting scope,
when I was around 8 or 9 years old. I have progressed through a whole bunch of scopes since then.

Ohhh before I forget ... old age and senility haha ... I do echo @gneill 's comments ... get to a local astronomy group and talk to and
try out scopes that members may bring to the meetings.

There's two easier ways to go if you don't have a lot of experience

1) a basic Dobsonian mount scope, these are a reflector scope in a Al/Az style mount (Altitude/Azimuth) ( left right/up down)

1408982600393_18.jpg

Easy to use and move around the sky, but does require the skill of star hopping to find objects
Aim for one with around an 8" mirror. You don't want to go too big as they become heavier and that can
having you struggling to outside for observing sessions. That results in you not using it much

An 8" f5 "dobo" scope will give you good views of many star clusters, open and globular, nebulae, galaxies, planets
And at around US$500 for a respectable quality one. a great way to get into astronomy without a huge outlay.

The other way to go is somewhat more expensive, but once aligned you can get it to go to any object currently above your horizon.
Yes the GOTO type you mentioned.

Celestron_11074_XLT_CPC_925_9_3_235mm_Catadioptric_370604.jpg

this is my Celestron CPC925 ... 9.25" primary mirror. This is a serious scope fully GOTO, with GPS for locating it's ground position.
Cost me AU$3300 ( US$ around 2700 (without doing an actual exchange conversion) back in Jan 2012.

Once I do a 3 star alignment, it will point to any star, planet, other object in its multi 1000's object database.
This scope is an f10 so makes it better for planetary than the 8" f5 from above but fainter objects ( nebula) are not quite as good
(still great, but not as bright)

BUT ... be warned !, it is a heavy scope and mount. I really wished I lived in a dark site where I could mount the scope
in an observatory, instead of having to lug it in and out of the house each time that I wish to go to a dark site away from home.
I live in the inner west suburbs of Sydney, Australia and the light pollution is pretty bad.

If you are in a similar situation, you will need a scope you can also put in your car and head out of town.
observing fainter objects like galaxies and nebulae from suburbia is almost pointless.

cheers
Dave

Attachments

• 1408982600393_18.jpg
    1408982600393_18.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 507
  • Celestron_11074_XLT_CPC_925_9_3_235mm_Catadioptric_370604.jpg
    Celestron_11074_XLT_CPC_925_9_3_235mm_Catadioptric_370604.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 418
Last edited:
Likes russ_watters
Ohhh and get Stellarium onto your computer/laptop ... preferably a laptop so you can take it outside and have it beside the scope
so you can find your way around the skies

http://stellarium.org/

Extremely highly recommended
I have been using it for many years

Also, UNC:
https://skynet.unc.edu/guestnight/

fbs7 said:
I'm close to 60 years old now, and when I was a 12-14 years old kid my father had a small 50mm telescope -- I still remember how amazing the word "Tasco" looked back then! Back then I could watch the moon and Jupiter, although I was upset that Jupiter kept moving out of sight all the time. How I envied a friend that said he could watch Saturn with his bigger telescope!

I want to watch Saturn and a galaxy before I die - it's in my bucket list, haha... so what size of a telescope should I buy? Money's not really an issue, but I live in a big city (Raleigh-Durham) and light pollution is kinda bad here. Should I buy one of those go-to telescopes or a manual one? Will an attached camera make it easier to observe? Appreciate any insights.

"Happy is the one that watch a galaxy in a telescope!" :^)
"Money's not an issue" is a loaded constraint. If you wanted to jump in with both feet, it's a few thousand dollars to start, but more than that, it's a lot of effort.

Planets are easy; the real question is what you want out of galaxy viewing. Galaxies are not really recognizable as more than blobs of light with your eyes. Getting to see them like in pictures requires taking long exposure photos, and there's a learning curve. I can probably recommend something for around $5k to get you off on the fastest start possible, if that's what you're willing to jump in with.

Likes Kevin the Crackpot and gneill
It occurred to me that there must be a planetarium in your area (since Ralleigh-Duram is not a tiny town). A web search turned up the Morehead Planetarium & Science Center. It appears that they also offer skywatching field events. Bet you'll find members of local astronomy clubs at those, too. Amateur astronomers tend to be very enthusiastic about participating in anything related to their hobby.

russ_watters said:
Also, UNC:
https://skynet.unc.edu/guestnight/

Planets are easy; the real question is what you want out of galaxy viewing. Galaxies are not really recognizable as more than blobs of light with your eyes. Getting to see them like in pictures requires taking long exposure photos, and there's a learning curve. I can probably recommend something for around $5k to get you off on the fastest start possible, if that's what you're willing to jump in with.

Oh... that's disappointing. I remember reading that one could almost see Andromeda with naked eye, so I was hoping that wouldn't overly difficult with a telescope.

I don't really expect to see anything like in astronomy books, for I know that people do all sorts of tricks to make look better for the books, plus I know some look really really tiny in the sky, but if I can watch Andromeda and maybe another one on a telescope I'm a happy man! :^)

davenn said:
Hi fbs7

1) a basic Dobsonian mount scope, these are a reflector scope in a Al/Az style mount (Altitude/Azimuth) ( left right/up down)

Dave

Ohhh... a Dobsonian mount! I saw that in catalogs, but I assumed it would be problematic to find and track anything.

Wow... 8-inches sounds like a monster, but I googled a video of someone carrying it around and it seemed feasible to carry in two pieces. Man that's exciting!

Hmm.. go-to or not go-to... that's the question. I don't want to look in someone else's telescope a see a galaxy that way, because it's that person's achievement, not mine, so it's the same ambiguity with go-to. I know it's much easier (I once bought a 5-inch go-to for my father), but finding anything with it is the software's achievement, not mine. So, for a bucket list, what to do, go-to or not go-to, that's the question...

Likes davenn
If it turns out to be not go-to, then find a local astronomy buff who can do star-hopping (get in touch with local resources via the clubs and institutions). See if they will give you some pointers and telescope time (from experience, they'll be delighted). Attend some hands-on get-togethers. Get some practice at local meets. Using the information gathered from your experiences, select and purchase your new reason to not spend much time warm and comfortable at home :smile:

Don't expect to see galaxys like the pretty pictures you see in magazines. Those require multipal long exposer photographs. Your eye does not collect and store light. Even with the best scopes, the light is too diffuse to see the sharp images you see in photos. Don't give up tho. It's a great hobby. I've been looking up since I was a kid and I never get tired of it.

fbs7--

In Durham:

Open House at Duke Teaching Observatory:
SPONSOR(S): Duke Teaching Observatory (DTO) and Physics
COST: Free
Observe the sky through modern 10" telescopes, guided
by Duke physicists. Everyone welcome. Weather dependent, check web page for weather updates.

https://calendar.duke.edu/show?fq=id:CAL-2c918085-65748a7f-0165-7c192422-00004d6edemobedework@mysite.edu_20181214T230000Z

This is held roughly every other Friday while school is in session, dependent on whether the sky is clear or overcast.

This is a lot of fun. Very cool.diogenesNY

Last edited:
Likes davenn
Yay, I shall do that, and will also order me a telescope! Thanks all for the kind advice and recommendations, much appreciated!

Likes davenn
fbs7 said:
Oh... that's disappointing. I remember reading that one could almost see Andromeda with naked eye, so I was hoping that wouldn't overly difficult with a telescope.

yes to naked eye, I have seen it myself on a number of occasions from a dark site

and yes, it will be better in a scope ... but takes, as Russ said, longer exposure imaging to get the detail

fbs7 said:
Ohhh... a Dobsonian mount! I saw that in catalogs, but I assumed it would be problematic to find and track anything.

Wow... 8-inches sounds like a monster, but I googled a video of someone carrying it around and it seemed feasible to carry in two pieces. Man that's exciting!

Honestly, I wouldn't get a reflector less than 8" ... it's not really a big mirror ... a 6" will show you lots, but that
extra 2" of aperture does help gathering all those "stray photons" :wink: :biggrin:

I succumbed to aperture fever many, many years ago hahaha ... bigger really is better ( till it comes to moving it around)
The largest private scope I have looked through was a home built 24" Newtonian reflector on a Dobo mount at
an astronomy club weekend camp.

Yup, no tracking on a dobo, but it can be done with the addition of motors and controller ... a little bit of work tho
just star hop with it, much more fun

fbs7 said:
So, for a bucket list, what to do, go-to or not go-to, that's the question...

well... if you don't want the fun, and it is fun, of learning to star hop to find objects then a GOTO mount is the "bees knees" ! :smile:
Keep in mind, learning star hopping really gets you knowing the sky. Tis a wonderful skill, don't dismiss it lightly ( you haven't, so just offering advice :smile: )
It means you can go outside on any clear nite and just with your eyes see your way around the sky, the constellations
and the brighter deep space objects etc. and with the aid of binoculars ... recommend 7x50 or 10x50 ...
your star hopping around the sky will be a pleasurable pastimecheers
Dave

Likes russ_watters
Extra aperture does little to help you tell apart diffuse light of galaxy from diffuse light of city sky. If the sky is too bright for you to see our galaxy, it´s too bright to see others.

Meade used to make an 8 inch Maksutov-Cassegrain telescope (about f-8 if I remember, but could be wrong) with an equatorial mount that worked exquisitely well for galactic astronomy.

As for why someone might be interested in observing galaxies . . . there's always the possibility of observing a supernova.

Just the idea that you're seeing--with your own eyes in real time--a cosmic explosion of unimaginable proportions spewing (possibly) life-creating elements into the Universe is an exciting event for people who can appreciate it.

Sadly, a lot of the fun has gone out of this as NASA has sattelites that use telescopes combined with automated computer software to scan the sky for new supernovae, so the chances of an amatuer astronomer discovering one are much less now than in the past, but it's still worthwhile to look and try.

SN 1987A was a spectacular event that occurred in the Large Magellanic Cloud (I could be wrong here) about 110,000 light years away. It revolutionized our understanding of supernovae, as the star was actually photographed on a few occasions before it blew up . . . and it was a kind of star that wasn't expected to turn into a supernova.

There is, possibly, room for an amatuer astronomer to make important contributions in galactic astronomy.

davenn said:
Honestly, I wouldn't get a reflector less than 8" ... it's not really a big mirror ... a 6" will show you lots, but that
extra 2" of aperture does help gathering all those "stray photons" :wink: :biggrin:

I succumbed to aperture fever many, many years ago hahaha ... bigger really is better ( till it comes to moving it around)
Agreed. I bought a quality 5" refractor last year and though it provides sharp views, I just can't get over the 80% drop in light gathering vs my C11. For a beginner who wants to jump in with both feet despite the added cost, the C9.25 you mentioned earlier is a good scope.

Likes Kevin the Crackpot and davenn
fbs7 said:
Yay, I shall do that, and will also order me a telescope! Thanks all for the kind advice and recommendations, much appreciated!
keep in touch in this thread

let us know what you decide to buy and how you get on at a local astronomy club or two
shout out with any other questions

cheers
Dave

Likes Kevin the Crackpot and russ_watters
snorkack said:
Extra aperture does little to help you tell apart diffuse light of galaxy from diffuse light of city sky. If the sky is too bright for you to see our galaxy, it´s too bright to see others.
I'm 20 miles from the center of philadelphia, in exactly the worst direction. The views are surprisingly good. Darker is better, but it can be done this close.

Likes Kevin the Crackpot

What is the best type of telescope for viewing galaxies?

The best type of telescope for viewing galaxies is a reflector telescope, particularly one with a large aperture. This allows for better light gathering and magnification, making it easier to see fainter galaxies.

What aperture size is recommended for viewing galaxies?

For viewing galaxies, a telescope with an aperture size of at least 6 inches is recommended. However, the larger the aperture, the better the view of the galaxy will be.

Do I need any additional equipment for viewing galaxies?

Yes, in addition to a telescope, you will also need a sturdy mount or tripod to keep the telescope steady and a good quality eyepiece for magnification.

Can I view galaxies from any location?

Ideally, you should view galaxies from a dark, remote location with minimal light pollution. However, you may still be able to see some galaxies from a moderately light-polluted area.

What is the recommended time of day for viewing galaxies?

Galaxies are best viewed during late evening or early morning when the sky is at its darkest. However, depending on the location of the galaxy, it may be visible at other times of the night as well.