What should I consider when choosing a webhost for my website?

• Thread starter DaveC426913
  • Start date
In summary, the individual is looking for a new webhost with room for up to 3 domains, mysql/php support, email capabilities, and additional features such as ASP/MSsql support. They are currently paying $6.95CDN/month for their current host but are not satisfied with the speed and professionalism. They are considering webhostingbuzz.com, ixwebhosting.com, and bluehost.com. They are also looking for reliable sources of information and reviews for webhosts. They have experience with Brinkster but are also considering setting up their own server. The advantages and disadvantages of having one's own server are discussed.
DaveC426913
Gold Member
I'm looking to change webhosts and I'd like some recommendations. (I am in Canada, but I don't think that's really a factor is it?)

Needs:
- room for up to 3 domains (real domains, not "faked" subdomains).
- mysql/php support
- the usual email things, including a good web-based mail interface (current one is very slow and often chokes)
- other doodads would be nice (such as ASP/MSsql support) as I like to experiment

I connect using Sympatico high-speed, so I don't need an ISP, just a host.

I am currently paying $6.95CDN/month for my webhosting, which is pretty good for the features they offer, but not good enough. My current host (Jodohost) seems too slow (I don't know if it's because they're on the other side of the world or not), and they're not as professional as I'd like.

Also, I'd like to know what, in general, I should expect from a good webhost in terms of reliability, timeliness, etc. Are they all bad to some extent? Will I just be going from one bad to another? Or can I expect a trouble-free hosting? Just generally.

Computer science news on Phys.org
I'm also looking for a new webhost.

I have been using webhostingbuzz.com ... but I wasn't too happy during some of the downtime I experienced. But for the price, I might stick with it. I'm looking into ixwebhosting.com... but I've heard some so-so things about it. For a little more money and supposedly better reliability, I may also look at bluehost.com.

Opinions about these webhosts?
Where is a reliable source of searchable information and reviews of webhosts?

I stumbled across this place:
http://www.thehostingchart.com/?esoj=1&ptkh=422
It lists IXWebHosting.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have an account with Brinkster, which in the past used to be all Microsoft Server Based, providing the ASP, ASP.NET i needed, but now they have evolved to support other server OSs and technologies (PHP).
I have problems from time to time with Brinkster, but they have good customer support.
For small sites these Web hosts are perfect because they're not very expensive, and they're reliable. On the other hand if you have a nice machine available, and a nice internet connection with a fair Upstream rate, you could also set up your own webserver fairly easily.
The disadvantages of having your own server are:
- Need a static IP, otherwise your IP will change from time to time, and because DNS is slow to update, your site could be unavailable for up to 24 hours. There are ways to prevent your IP from changing very often, but it's an extra worry, and th epossibility is not completely eliminated.
- Need a fairly fast machine with good RAM.
- Need a good upstream connection.
- It will probably never be as reliable as a Web Host unless you invest some money and know what you are doing.

The advantages are:
- As much bandwidth as you want (limited by your ISP i guess, but still alot)
- You only pay for the electricity and your internet connection, which you are probably already doing anyway.
- You can run whatever you want on your server, be that a web server, mail server, ftp server, WebDav, flash communication server, MySQL/SQL database servers, and, best of all, any server that you write yourself.
- Install any technologies you want, ASP, ASP.NET, PHP, JSP, CGI... i have all of them.
- You learn ALOT, very quickly.

It's not something you can learn how to setup from one day to the other, but you'll probably enjoy playing around with the IIS web server that comes with your windows installation, or setup an Apache Web Server on your windows or linux machine.
http://www.brinkster.com"

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What factors should I consider when choosing a webhost?

When choosing a webhost, it is important to consider factors such as reliability, speed, security, scalability, and customer support. A reliable webhost will ensure that your website is always accessible to users, while a fast webhost will improve the overall user experience. Security measures should also be taken into account to protect your website and sensitive data. Additionally, consider a webhost that offers scalability options in case your website grows in the future. Lastly, ensure that the webhost has a responsive and helpful customer support team to assist you with any issues that may arise.

2. What type of hosting plan should I choose?

The type of hosting plan you choose will depend on your website's specific needs. Shared hosting is a cost-effective option for small websites with low traffic, while VPS hosting provides more control and resources for medium-sized websites. Dedicated hosting is ideal for large websites with high traffic and requires a dedicated server. Cloud hosting is a flexible option that allows you to scale resources as needed.

3. How much storage and bandwidth do I need?

The amount of storage and bandwidth you need will depend on the size and traffic of your website. A small website with low traffic can usually function well with a few gigabytes of storage and bandwidth. However, larger websites with high traffic will require more storage and bandwidth to handle the volume of data and visitors. It is always best to choose a webhost that offers options to upgrade storage and bandwidth as needed.

4. What security measures does the webhost provide?

Security is a crucial factor to consider when choosing a webhost. Look for a webhost that offers measures such as firewalls, SSL certificates, and regular backups to protect your website and data from potential threats. Some webhosts also provide additional security features such as DDoS protection and malware scanning.

5. Is there a money-back guarantee?

It is always a good idea to check if the webhost offers a money-back guarantee in case you are not satisfied with their services. Most reputable webhosts offer a 30-day money-back guarantee, allowing you to test their services before committing to a long-term plan. Be sure to read the terms and conditions carefully to understand the refund policy.