Recommendations for an affordable 3D CAD for home use

In summary, Seth is looking for a CAD program that is affordable and can be used at home. He has experience with both NX and Solidworks, but is looking for a program that is simpler to use. He has found a program called Home Designer, which is designed for the DIY market. The program is affordable, works well after a learning curve, and provides good visualization tools. However, there are some design limitations that he has to work around.
Seth Allen
Hey!

I hope this is the right place to post this. I'm looking for recommendations for a modeling/drafting cad program that is relatively affordable and capable. I have extensive experience with NX and Solidworks, but can't justify paying for either of those to simply use at home. My non-work hobby involves designing and fabricating unique car parts for a select community and it would be extremely helpful to have home CAD ability again to be able to make models and drawings for the local machine shop I use. I don't mind paying something for it, but can't justify $3000 + renewal fees. Any recommendations/suggestions are much appreciated.

Seth Allen

Engineering news on Phys.org
Greg Bernhardt said:
Have you tried https://www.sketchup.com/?

The vanilla program might not be extensive enough but there are a load of extensions
https://extensions.sketchup.com/

I haven't yet but I will download it when I get home and see! I don't need anything overly complicated. Thanks!

I've purchased Home Designer from Chief Architect dot com, made for the DIY market. Like it OK, affordable, works OK after learning curve, provides good visualization tools (add-in libraries for furniture, textures, cabinets, and flying camera walkthroughs), lots of YouTubes, good discussion forum for finding help. Unless you get the $2K super-duper version, you might find a couple design capabilities lacking for which you must determine workarounds. For example, on my 1954-vintage home, I tried to model "as-is" the CMU basement wall, 2x4 top plate, and then the 2x10 floor joists. This stackup simply won't add up to the software's default construction dialog dimensions for inserting Floor0 (basement construction). Visualizing the outside of the building, there is a gap between floors. Many defaults are customizable, but this parameter was not. Not a job stopper, but I have to scratch my head as to why didn't they add that simple additive capability? Professional architect-level software cost is on the same level as SolidWorks etc.

7 or 8 years ago I needed AutoCAD R14 which was long gone. I made a few phone calls and found a local architectural firm that sold me an old copy of theirs. For $100 I got the license and the Windows 98 machine the program was still on plus while I was there an old HP "D" size pen plotter was thrown in. If all you need is what you say this may be a solution for you. Bear in mind 14 is not supported by Autodesk anymore but I have yet to run into a current program that can't or won't import the 14 files.

Are the above actually practical or usable for machine design modelling of items like auto parts, etc.

Does anyone have any experience with AutoCAD FUSION 360

Likes Work Hard Play Hard
JBA said:
Does anyone have any experience with AutoCAD FUSION 360

Hadn't followed Autodesk for a long time so I looked it up. Seemed more then alright and it's a free download for students, hobbyists and enthusiasts. That's hard to beat.

There you go Seth.

I've used Fusion360 for a long time . Absolutely excellent .

I also have under evaluation FreeCad .

Likes Work Hard Play Hard
JBA said:
Are the above actually practical or usable for machine design modelling of items like auto parts, etc.

That is what I need it for. I'm not going to use it for architectural purposes, but more so designing custom exhaust manifolds/flanges/piping as well as numerous random brackets and mounts.

Work Hard Play Hard said:
Hadn't followed Autodesk for a long time so I looked it up. Seemed more then alright and it's a free download for students, hobbyists and enthusiasts. That's hard to beat.

There you go Seth.

I'll download it and give it a shot too. Thanks guys...I'll report back with what I find.

1. What is the best 3D CAD software for home use?

The best 3D CAD software for home use depends on your specific needs and preferences. Some popular options include Fusion360, SketchUp, and Tinkercad.

2. How much does 3D CAD software for home use typically cost?

The cost of 3D CAD software for home use can vary greatly depending on the features and capabilities you need. Some options may be available for free, while others can cost a few hundred dollars.

3. Can I use 3D CAD software on my personal computer?

Yes, most 3D CAD software is designed to be used on personal computers. However, you may need to check the system requirements of the specific software you are interested in to ensure compatibility.

4. Are there any free 3D CAD software options for home use?

Yes, there are several free 3D CAD software options available, such as Fusion360, SketchUp, and Tinkercad. These may have limited features compared to paid software, but can still be useful for home use.

5. Do I need to have previous experience with CAD software to use it at home?

While previous experience with CAD software can be helpful, it is not necessary to use 3D CAD software at home. Many programs have user-friendly interfaces and tutorials to help beginners learn how to use them.

Back