Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Recommended Free Mathematics Software

1. Apr 9, 2005 #1
    What free mathematics software do you use regularly or recommend for uniqueness ?
    I use KnotPlot to visualize and manipulate knots/links and GraphCalc for quick graph checks or trivial numeric evaluation/integration. That it allows easy mouse-controlled rotation of 3-d surfaces is a welcome bonus.
    What do you recommend ?

Edit: Whoops. Moderators feel free to move this to software.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 9, 2005 #2
    GraphCalc is good, but what if I want a conditional interval for my 3D graph?
    For example, for [tex] y\left( {x,z} \right) = z\cos \left( {zx} \right) [/tex] , suppose I want to restrict the 3D image for values of x and z that will satisfy [tex] \left| {zx} \right| \leqslant \frac{\pi }{2} [/tex]

I can modify a window, but what if I want to set up this conditional interval ? (see Only the x and z values satisfying the condition, not the rest of the graph)

4. Apr 10, 2005 #3
    Check out this page, and note that your equation under your condition can be translated to z(x,y) = y*cos(y*x)*(abs(x*y) <= (Math|pi)/2) . :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?