Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Recommended Graduate Schools

1. Jul 6, 2005 #1
    [SOLVED] Recommended Graduate Schools

I know you can purchase the list from USAToday ranking the top graduate schools in various subjects, but that costs money. Could anybody please post the maybe top 5 or 10 graduate programs my subject area, or recommend some good places to go for the various categories?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 6, 2005 #2

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

what is your subject area?

4. Jul 6, 2005 #3
    My subject area is condensed matter theory. However, I sorta posted this thread for general use as well. I've got my top five choices pretty much picked out, but I would like some outside input.

5. Jul 6, 2005 #4

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

The top ranked schools in CM Theory are the "usual suspects":

UIUC, Stanford, MIT, Princeton, UC-Santa Barbra...

However, there are plenty of schools that excel in a particular area of CM theory that rival these big boys, such as SUNY-Stony Brook, Rutgers, Johns Hopkins, ... You should not confine your choices only to these limited group.

Zz.

6. Jul 6, 2005 #5
    How about math? I am unable to obtain a USN&WR where I am right now, and would like to know the top 20. Thanks!

EDIT: For grad schools, please :)

7. Jul 7, 2005 #6
    id take a guess that Harvard, MIT, Caltech, Princeton, Stanford maybe even Berkeley.

hope this helps

8. Jul 8, 2005 #7
    Well it helps, but ... I'd like an official ranking, since I'm sure someone has a copy of USN&WR around :)

9. Jul 8, 2005 #8
    On what ground can people say a school is good, may i ask ? Thanks

10. Jul 8, 2005 #9
    Quality of their research, quality of the education, the number of "big names" on the faculty, campus location (I'm sure there's a really high quality Physics program in Oklahoma, but I'm certainly not interested in going there), the success of its graduates.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook