1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Recommended Graduate Schools

1. Jul 6, 2005 #1
    [SOLVED] Recommended Graduate Schools

I know you can purchase the list from USAToday ranking the top graduate schools in various subjects, but that costs money. Could anybody please post the maybe top 5 or 10 graduate programs my subject area, or recommend some good places to go for the various categories?
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 6, 2005 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    2015 Award

what is your subject area?
  4. Jul 6, 2005 #3
    My subject area is condensed matter theory. However, I sorta posted this thread for general use as well. I've got my top five choices pretty much picked out, but I would like some outside input.
  5. Jul 6, 2005 #4

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

The top ranked schools in CM Theory are the "usual suspects":

UIUC, Stanford, MIT, Princeton, UC-Santa Barbra...

However, there are plenty of schools that excel in a particular area of CM theory that rival these big boys, such as SUNY-Stony Brook, Rutgers, Johns Hopkins, ... You should not confine your choices only to these limited group.

6. Jul 6, 2005 #5
    How about math? I am unable to obtain a USN&WR where I am right now, and would like to know the top 20. Thanks!

EDIT: For grad schools, please :)
  7. Jul 7, 2005 #6
    id take a guess that Harvard, MIT, Caltech, Princeton, Stanford maybe even Berkeley.

hope this helps
  8. Jul 8, 2005 #7
    Well it helps, but ... I'd like an official ranking, since I'm sure someone has a copy of USN&WR around :)
  9. Jul 8, 2005 #8
    On what ground can people say a school is good, may i ask ? Thanks
  10. Jul 8, 2005 #9
    Quality of their research, quality of the education, the number of "big names" on the faculty, campus location (I'm sure there's a really high quality Physics program in Oklahoma, but I'm certainly not interested in going there), the success of its graduates.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?