Top Graduate Schools: Where Should I Apply?

In summary, the conversation discussed recommendations for top graduate schools in various subject areas, specifically focusing on condensed matter theory and mathematics. The top ranked schools in condensed matter theory were listed, but it was also mentioned that there are many other schools that excel in this area. In terms of mathematics, some suggestions were given but the original poster expressed interest in an official ranking. Factors that contribute to a school's reputation were also mentioned.
MalleusScientiarum
[SOLVED] Recommended Graduate Schools

I know you can purchase the list from USAToday ranking the top graduate schools in various subjects, but that costs money. Could anybody please post the maybe top 5 or 10 graduate programs my subject area, or recommend some good places to go for the various categories?

Physics news on Phys.org
what is your subject area?

My subject area is condensed matter theory. However, I sort of posted this thread for general use as well. I've got my top five choices pretty much picked out, but I would like some outside input.

The top ranked schools in CM Theory are the "usual suspects":

UIUC, Stanford, MIT, Princeton, UC-Santa Barbra...

However, there are plenty of schools that excel in a particular area of CM theory that rival these big boys, such as SUNY-Stony Brook, Rutgers, Johns Hopkins, ... You should not confine your choices only to these limited group.

Zz.

How about math? I am unable to obtain a USN&WR where I am right now, and would like to know the top 20. Thanks!

EDIT: For grad schools, please :)

id take a guess that Harvard, MIT, Caltech, Princeton, Stanford maybe even Berkeley.

hope this helps

Well it helps, but ... I'd like an official ranking, since I'm sure someone has a copy of USN&WR around :)

On what ground can people say a school is good, may i ask ? Thanks

Quality of their research, quality of the education, the number of "big names" on the faculty, campus location (I'm sure there's a really high quality Physics program in Oklahoma, but I'm certainly not interested in going there), the success of its graduates.

1. What factors should I consider when choosing a recommended graduate school?

There are several important factors to consider when choosing a recommended graduate school. These include the school's reputation and ranking, the quality of its faculty and research opportunities, the program's curriculum and courses offered, the location and cost of living, and the availability of financial aid and scholarships.

2. How do I know if a recommended graduate school is a good fit for me?

It's important to research and visit the recommended graduate school to get a sense of its culture and community. You can also reach out to current students and alumni to learn more about their experiences. Additionally, consider if the program aligns with your academic and career goals, and if the school offers the resources and support you need to succeed.

3. Can I apply to multiple recommended graduate schools?

Yes, you can apply to multiple recommended graduate schools. However, keep in mind that each application may require a significant amount of time, effort, and money. It's important to prioritize and choose the schools that best align with your goals and qualifications.

4. How important is the reputation of a recommended graduate school?

The reputation of a recommended graduate school can play a significant role in your future career opportunities and earning potential. However, it's important to also consider other factors such as the program's curriculum and faculty, as well as your own academic and career goals. A highly ranked school may not necessarily be the best fit for you.

5. Are there any resources available to help me choose a recommended graduate school?

Yes, there are several resources available to help you choose a recommended graduate school. These include online rankings and guides, university websites, and graduate school fairs. You can also seek guidance from your academic advisor, professors, and current graduate students. Additionally, consider reaching out to professionals in your field for their recommendations and advice.