Gravity from the Ground Up: Physics Book for Engineers & Laypeople

• Thread starter Pete62
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Reading
In summary, the conversation discusses a recommendation for a book on physics, "Gravity from the Ground Up" by Bernard Schutz, and a request for more book recommendations for the layman. The individual is not afraid of math but prefers a visual approach. They promise to provide a review after reading the recommended book and suggest creating a sticky for recommended reading in each section of the forum for educational purposes.
Pete62
I found an excellent book through this forum: Gravity from the ground up by Bernard Schutz.

I would appreciate more recommendations for good books on physics for the layman. I am not afraid of math (I am an engineer) but I think visually not mathematically.

Once I get through the first book I promise a review.

Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry for posting in the wrong area. However, there should be a sticky of recommend reading in each area of the forum. Frankly, I consider this a big oversight. I believe this forum is about education and in this society, education begins with books. I am not just complaining, let me help.

1. What is the concept of gravity?

The concept of gravity is the force that attracts two objects towards each other. It is a fundamental force in the universe and is responsible for keeping planets in orbit around the sun, as well as objects on Earth's surface.

2. How does gravity work?

Gravity is caused by the mass of an object. The more massive an object is, the stronger its gravitational pull. This means that the Earth's mass creates a gravitational force that pulls objects towards its center. Additionally, objects with larger distances between them have a weaker gravitational force.

3. What is the difference between weight and mass?

Weight and mass are often used interchangeably, but they are actually different concepts. Mass is the amount of matter an object contains, while weight is the force of gravity acting on an object. Mass remains the same regardless of location, while weight can change depending on the strength of the gravitational force.

4. How does Einstein's theory of relativity relate to gravity?

Einstein's theory of relativity explains gravity as the result of the curvature of spacetime caused by massive objects. This means that the presence of a massive object, such as a planet, creates a "dent" in the fabric of spacetime, causing other objects to be pulled towards it.

5. How is gravity important in our daily lives?

Gravity plays a crucial role in our daily lives in many ways. It keeps our feet firmly planted on the ground, allows us to drive and ride in vehicles, and is essential for the water cycle and other natural processes. Additionally, understanding gravity is crucial for space travel and satellite technology.