Physics Major w/Math Minor: Career Options

• Thread starter Shackleford
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Skills
In summary: Are they something you could do without a Ph.D.?What about BS Physics level research jobs?Are they something you could do without a Ph.D.?BS Physics level research jobs are something you could do without a Ph.D., but they're not as desirable as Ph.D. level jobs. BS Physics level research jobs are something you could do without a Ph.D., but they're not as desirable as Ph.D. level jobs.
Shackleford
Physics major, math minor

I'm not taking any programming courses or computer science courses, and we only briefly did a few exercises in Matlab this past semester in my Diff. Eq. class because we were short on time. I do still have the Matlab book, though.

Here's the rest of my program. Given the courses I'm taking, in particular the one in bold, what would my options be after graduation? How limited am I by my skill sets? I'm set to graduate spring 2012. I think I would like to go into research. I like pure physics, pure science. If I can, I'll go into graduate school for a Physics MS. I hope I'm clear in my questioning.

Modern Physics I
Vector Analysis
Modern Physics II
Intermediate Mechanics
Electronic Devices and Their Applications
Thermal Physics
Introduction to Solid State Physics
Introduction to Partial Differential Equations
Intermediate Electromagnetic Theory I
Seminar in Advanced Laboratory Analysis
Advanced Laboratory I
Introduction to Astrophysics
Advanced Laboratory II
Intermediate Electromagnetic Theory II
4000-level MATH course

Physics news on Phys.org
If you want to get into research, you'll need a Ph.D. from my understanding.

Jack21222 said:
If you want to get into research, you'll need a Ph.D. from my understanding.

Are there other levels of research that don't require a Ph.D? Like at a technician level or something?

Shackleford said:
Are there other levels of research that don't require a Ph.D? Like at a technician level or something?

I think they're called grad students.

Jack21222 said:
I think they're called grad students.

Okay.

Shackleford said:

Yes, there are technician jobs, many of which don't even require a college degree. They do require skills, and don't expect to have any say in the direction of the research.

Vanadium 50 said:
Yes, there are technician jobs, many of which don't even require a college degree. They do require skills, and don't expect to have any say in the direction of the research.

What about BS Physics level research jobs?

1. What career options are available for someone with a Physics Major and Math Minor?

A Physics major with a Math minor can pursue a variety of career options. Some popular choices include research positions in industries such as aerospace, energy, and telecommunications. Other options include working as a data analyst, financial analyst, or software engineer. Alternatively, one can pursue a graduate degree in either Physics or Math for further academic and research opportunities.

2. Is a Physics Major with a Math Minor a good combination for those interested in engineering?

Yes, a Physics major with a Math minor is a great combination for those interested in engineering. The combination of a strong understanding of physics principles and mathematical problem-solving skills can be very beneficial for engineering careers. It can also prepare students for graduate studies in engineering.

3. Can a Physics Major with a Math Minor lead to a career in finance?

Yes, a Physics major with a Math minor can lead to a career in finance. The analytical and problem-solving skills developed in this combination can be useful in finance careers, such as financial analyst or risk management positions. Additionally, a strong background in math can be helpful in understanding and analyzing financial data.

4. What skills can a student with a Physics Major and Math Minor expect to develop?

Students with a Physics major and Math minor can expect to develop strong analytical and problem-solving skills. They will also gain a deep understanding of mathematical concepts and their applications in the physical world. Additionally, students will develop critical thinking skills, attention to detail, and the ability to work with complex data and models.

5. Can a Physics Major with a Math Minor lead to a career in technology?

Yes, a Physics major with a Math minor can lead to a career in technology. Many technology companies value candidates with a strong background in both physics and math for roles such as data scientist, software engineer, or research and development positions. Students can also pursue graduate studies in fields such as computer science or data science with this combination.