Reconciling alpha particle mass

In summary, the conversation discusses the difference between the mass of an alpha particle and the mass of a helium-4 nucleus. It is mentioned that alpha particles are identical to helium nuclei, but their masses are slightly different. The conversation also touches on the importance of finding reliable sources for data and suggests checking for specific information on whether the mass given is for the atomic or nuclear level.
ezfzx
Ugh ... I remember there was a reason ... but forgot what it was.
So here's 3 bits of information gathered from dozens of sources, textbooks, official sites:
  1. Alpha particles are identical to Helium nuclei.
  2. Alpha particle mass = 4.001506 u
  3. helium-4 nuclei mass = 4.0026032 u
OK, so ... why aren't they the same?

Physics news on Phys.org
You sure about bit 3 ? Isn't that the isotope mass instead of the nucleus mass ? So 2 electrons minus some energy heavier ?

BvU said:
Isn't that the isotope mass instead of the nucleus mass ?
You are referring to the atomic mass, but yes, it is.

To make a more explicit hint: find the difference between the two masses, convert to kg, and divide by 2. Does the resulting number look familiar?

jtbell said:
convert to kg
I will convert to keV/c2 if you don't mind ... :rolleyes:

Orodruin said:
You are referring to the atomic mass
Considered it a reasonable term, since the atomic mass is normally an average over isotopes.

He has only one stable isotope and 3) is the atomic mass, not nuclear.

mathman said:
He has only one stable isotope and 3) is the atomic mass, not nuclear.
Helium 3 is stable and naturally occurring.

OK, so the extra mass is the electrons.
That's fine. But that extra mass gets tacked on when whenever I go searching for the mass of the He-4 "nucleus".
Every source seems to ignore the fact that I'm asking for the "nucleus".
If I'm building nuclear "binding energy" questions, I need reliable numbers.
If the source isn't specific about "atomic" vs. "nuclear" mass ... or worse ... if the source is listed in response to my specific search for "nuclear mass", it can be a little frustrating. I can compare He-4 to an alpha, but what about all the other elements?

I guess the point of the story is to get values from a reliable source.

Readers: What is your favorite reliable source? U.S.Gov? Cern? Stanford? chemicalelements.com?

ezfzx said:
But that extra mass gets tacked on when whenever I go searching for the mass of the He-4 "nucleus".
You also found the mass of the nucleus.
Just make sure you check which value is given in a source. A proper source will tell you that.

mfb said:
A proper source will tell you that.

My point exactly.

Kids ... don't get your data from the back of a truck in a dark alley!

Likes BvU and Orodruin

1. What is an alpha particle?

An alpha particle is a type of subatomic particle that consists of two protons and two neutrons bound together. It is essentially the nucleus of a helium atom.

2. How is the mass of an alpha particle reconciled?

The mass of an alpha particle is reconciled through the use of the mass-energy equivalence equation, E=mc². This equation shows that mass and energy are interchangeable, and the mass of an alpha particle can be calculated using its energy or vice versa.

3. Why is reconciling alpha particle mass important?

Reconciling alpha particle mass is important because it helps us understand the fundamental building blocks of matter and the behavior of particles at the atomic level. It also allows us to make accurate predictions and calculations in various fields such as nuclear physics and astrophysics.

4. What methods are used to measure the mass of an alpha particle?

The mass of an alpha particle can be measured using various methods such as mass spectrometry, beta decay, and nuclear reactions. These methods involve analyzing the energy released during the decay or reaction of alpha particles to determine their mass.

5. How accurate are our current measurements of alpha particle mass?

Our current measurements of alpha particle mass are very accurate, with a relative uncertainty of only about 0.000001%. This level of precision is crucial in understanding the behavior of particles and making accurate predictions in various scientific fields.