Reconciling quantum with classical mechanics

Your name]In summary, the conversation discussed the period and amplitude of a grandfather clock's pendulum and the potential for it to exhibit quantum behavior. The suggested approach was to calculate the value of n, which represents the energy level, by equating the potential energy at the highest point of oscillation with the energy level equation. The estimated value of n was 2.8x10^33, which may seem large but is not unexpected for a macroscopic object. It was also noted that the pendulum's size compared to an atom makes it unlikely to exhibit significant quantum behavior.
physikerin

Homework Statement

The pendulum of a grandfather clock has a period of 1 s and makes excursions of 3 cm either side of dead centre. Given that the bob weighs 0.2 kg, around what value of n would you expect its non-negligible quantum amplitudes to cluster?

The Attempt at a Solution

I am very uncertain about this attempt. I know that a measurement of energy is guaranteed to yield a value that lies close to E=En where I think that En is given by En=(n + 1/2) hbarw. So I thought that I could calculate the potential energy at the highest point of the oscillation (by using the fact that T=2pi(L/g)^1/2 and working out how high the bob swings) and equate that to En and then work out n. The answer I got for that however was phenomenally large however (around 3.63*10 to the 32 or so) and while i know that n should be large I'm not entirely certain it should be quite so large.

Any suggestions?

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your post. I am a scientist and I would like to offer my thoughts on this problem. Firstly, it is important to note that for a system to exhibit quantum behavior, it must have a small enough wavelength compared to its size. In this case, the pendulum of a grandfather clock is relatively large compared to the size of an atom, so we can expect the quantum amplitudes to be negligible.

However, if we were to consider the pendulum as a quantum system, we could estimate the value of n by looking at the energy levels of the system. As you mentioned, the energy levels are given by En = (n + 1/2) hbarw. In this case, w is the angular frequency of the pendulum, which can be calculated using the period T = 1 s. This gives us w = 2pi/T = 2pi rad/s.

Now, to calculate the potential energy at the highest point of the oscillation, we can use the equation PE = mgh, where m is the mass of the bob, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height of the pendulum. From the given information, we can calculate that h = 3 cm = 0.03 m. Plugging in the values, we get PE = (0.2 kg)(9.8 m/s^2)(0.03 m) = 0.0588 J.

Equating this potential energy to the energy level, we get 0.0588 J = (n + 1/2)(1.05x10^-34 J*s)(2pi rad/s). Solving for n, we get n = 0.0588/(1.05x10^-34 x 2pi) - 1/2 = 2.8x10^33. This value may seem large, but it is not unexpected for a macroscopic object like a pendulum.

In conclusion, while it is unlikely for the pendulum of a grandfather clock to exhibit significant quantum behavior, if we were to consider it as a quantum system, we can estimate the value of n to be around 2.8x10^33. I hope this helps. Please let me know if you have any further questions or concerns.

1. What is the main challenge in reconciling quantum and classical mechanics?

The main challenge in reconciling quantum and classical mechanics is that these two theories have fundamentally different principles and equations that describe the behavior of matter and energy. Quantum mechanics is based on the probabilistic nature of particles and their wave-like properties, while classical mechanics is based on deterministic laws of motion.

2. Why is it important to reconcile quantum and classical mechanics?

It is important to reconcile quantum and classical mechanics because these theories are the foundations of modern physics and have been successful in explaining and predicting a wide range of phenomena. However, they are not compatible with each other, which poses a limitation in our understanding of the universe. Reconciling these theories could lead to a more comprehensive and unified understanding of the physical world.

3. What are some proposed solutions to reconcile quantum and classical mechanics?

There are several proposed solutions to reconcile quantum and classical mechanics, such as the Copenhagen interpretation, the many-worlds interpretation, and the pilot-wave theory. These interpretations offer different ways to understand the fundamental principles of quantum mechanics and how they can be integrated with classical mechanics.

4. Can quantum and classical mechanics be unified into a single theory?

There is currently no unified theory that fully reconciles quantum and classical mechanics. However, many physicists believe that a grand unified theory, which combines all known fundamental forces and particles, may eventually reconcile these two theories.

5. What are the potential implications of reconciling quantum and classical mechanics?

If quantum and classical mechanics can be successfully reconciled, it could lead to a deeper understanding of the nature of reality and potentially open up new avenues for technological advancements. It could also help resolve long-standing paradoxes and mysteries in physics, such as the measurement problem and the nature of time.