1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Reconciling quantum with classical mechanics

1. Jan 9, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The pendulum of a grandfather clock has a period of 1 s and makes excursions of 3 cm either side of dead centre. Given that the bob weighs 0.2 kg, around what value of n would you expect its non-negligible quantum amplitudes to cluster?

3. The attempt at a solution

I am very uncertain about this attempt. I know that a measurement of energy is guaranteed to yield a value that lies close to E=En where I think that En is given by En=(n + 1/2) hbarw. So I thought that I could calculate the potential energy at the highest point of the oscillation (by using the fact that T=2pi(L/g)^1/2 and working out how high the bob swings) and equate that to En and then work out n. The answer I got for that however was phenomenally large however (around 3.63*10 to the 32 or so) and while i know that n should be large I'm not entirely certain it should be quite so large.

Any suggestions?
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted