Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Reconnection of capacitors

1. Oct 24, 2015 #1
    In an example from my textbook, two capacitors are fully charged and then disconnected from the battery. (The full text is on the bottom of the thread).
    Screenshot (71).png
    Initially, the positive charge is on top, negative on the bottom.
    Screenshot (72).png
    How did this occur? This is the part that I don't understand. Originally the top had two positive charges and now it has both positive and negative. Is this natural, or was something done during the re-connection?
    Screenshot (70).png
    So the charges move back to the same configuration as in (A) - positive on top, negative on the bottom. This makes sense. Once again, I don't understand part B, because part B doesn't seem to fit the sequence. A can go to C, but B doesn't fit.

Below is the full example, if it helps
    Screenshot (73).png
    Thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 24, 2015 #2

Filip Larsen

Gold Member

Looks like C2 is simply "turned around" between the two first diagrams, i.e. the connectors between C1 and C2 are swapped in the second diagram compared to the first.

4. Oct 24, 2015 #3

Dale

Staff: Mentor

Read the second sentence of the first paragraph of the question. Carefully.

5. Oct 24, 2015 #4

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yes

and yes :smile:

6. Oct 25, 2015 #5

jbriggs444

Science Advisor

You may want to re-think that. The removal of the battery leaves the system in the state shown at (a). It is already in equilibrium and no charge will flow.

7. Oct 25, 2015 #6
    Yeah it is. Sorry for that. I'll jus delete the previous post. Thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook