What happens when capacitors are reconnected?

• Thread starter Calpalned
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Capacitors
In summary, the capacitors were fully charged and then disconnected from the battery. The charges moved back to the same configuration as in (A) - positive on top, negative on the bottom. This makes sense. Once again, I don't understand part B, because part B doesn't seem to fit the sequence. A can go to C, but B doesn't fit.
Calpalned
In an example from my textbook, two capacitors are fully charged and then disconnected from the battery. (The full text is on the bottom of the thread).
Screenshot (71).png

Initially, the positive charge is on top, negative on the bottom.
Screenshot (72).png

How did this occur? This is the part that I don't understand. Originally the top had two positive charges and now it has both positive and negative. Is this natural, or was something done during the re-connection?
Screenshot (70).png

So the charges move back to the same configuration as in (A) - positive on top, negative on the bottom. This makes sense. Once again, I don't understand part B, because part B doesn't seem to fit the sequence. A can go to C, but B doesn't fit.

Below is the full example, if it helps
Screenshot (73).png

Thank you.

Likes kbr2020
Physics news on Phys.org
Looks like C2 is simply "turned around" between the two first diagrams, i.e. the connectors between C1 and C2 are swapped in the second diagram compared to the first.

Likes davenn
Calpalned said:
How did this occur? This is the part that I don't understand. Originally the top had two positive charges and now it has both positive and negative. Is this natural, or was something done during the re-connection?
Read the second sentence of the first paragraph of the question. Carefully.

Likes davenn
Filip Larsen said:
Looks like C2 is simply "turned around" between the two first diagrams, i.e. the connectors between C1 and C2 are swapped in the second diagram compared to the first.

Yes

DaleSpam said:
Read the second sentence of the first paragraph of the question. Carefully.

and yes :smile:

CrazyNinja said:
But even otherwise, if the battery was disconnected and the capacitors weren't the charge distribution would still be as shown in (b). It has to be to satisfy kirchhoffs loop rule. No reconnection is required, charge will flow automatically.

You may want to re-think that. The removal of the battery leaves the system in the state shown at (a). It is already in equilibrium and no charge will flow.

jbriggs444 said:
You may want to re-think that. The removal of the battery leaves the system in the state shown at (a). It is already in equilibrium and no charge will flow.

Yeah it is. Sorry for that. I'll jus delete the previous post. Thanks!

1. What is the purpose of reconnecting capacitors?

The purpose of reconnecting capacitors is to change the overall capacitance of a circuit. By connecting multiple capacitors in series or parallel, the total capacitance can be increased or decreased. This can be useful in adjusting the frequency response or voltage regulation in a circuit.

2. How do you reconnect capacitors in series?

To connect capacitors in series, the positive terminal of one capacitor is connected to the negative terminal of the next capacitor. The remaining positive and negative terminals are then connected to the circuit. The total capacitance in series is equal to the reciprocal of the sum of the reciprocals of each individual capacitance.

3. How do you reconnect capacitors in parallel?

In parallel connection, all the positive terminals are connected together and all the negative terminals are connected together. The total capacitance in parallel is equal to the sum of all the individual capacitances. This increases the total capacitance of the circuit.

4. What is the impact of reconnecting capacitors on voltage and current?

Reconnecting capacitors in series decreases the total capacitance, which leads to a decrease in the voltage across each capacitor. However, the overall voltage across the circuit remains the same. In parallel connection, the total capacitance increases, which leads to an increase in the voltage across each capacitor. The overall current in the circuit remains the same in both series and parallel connections.

5. Are there any safety precautions to take when reconnecting capacitors?

Yes, it is important to make sure that all capacitors are discharged before reconnecting them. Capacitors can hold a charge even when not connected to a power source, and discharging them can prevent potential electrical shocks. It is also important to make sure the correct polarity is maintained when reconnecting capacitors to avoid damaging them or the circuit.