Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Record for fusion

1. Oct 22, 2016 #1

wolram

Gold Member

I found this site very interesting.
    https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2016/10/161021133915.htm

Date:
    October 21, 2016
    Source:
    Massachusetts Institute of Technology
    Summary:
    Scientists and engineers recently made a leap forward in the pursuit of clean energy. The team set a new world record for plasma pressure in an Alcator C-Mod tokamak nuclear fusion reactor. Plasma pressure is the key ingredient to producing energy from nuclear fusion, and MIT's new result achieves over 2 atmospheres of pressure for the first time.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 22, 2016 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

At the last day of operation. If you don't care if something breaks, why not try to get the maximum out of it?

4. Oct 22, 2016 #3

rbelli1

Gold Member

They are in a shared building in the middle of Boston. I don't think going Myth Busters on a multi Megawatt device is especially good for the other facilities housed in that building or perhaps neighboring buildings.

BoB

5. Oct 23, 2016 #4

Drakkith

The danger of a catastrophic explosion is simply not a possibility. Other than perhaps an arc flash, I'm betting the worst you could get is some fried electrical components or damaged valves/probes/other fragile reactor components.

6. Oct 23, 2016 #5

mfb

2016 Award

Exactly. The worst case for fusion reactors is a damaged reactor. The overall energy in the plasma is tiny, it is not even sufficient to melt the reactor walls.

7. Oct 23, 2016 #6

rbelli1

Gold Member

I was more worried about the multi Megawatt power input to the device. Large energized superconducting magnets can do some interesting things if uncontrollably quenched.

BoB

8. Oct 23, 2016 #7

mfb

2016 Award

The reactor used normalconducting magnets.

9. Oct 23, 2016 #8

rbelli1

Gold Member

Well turn it up to 11 then!

BoB

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted