1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Record of Travel Problem Guidance

1. Sep 16, 2005 #1
    Greetings,

I was wondering if someone could provide guidance on the following problem? I'd like to arrive at the correct answer(s) and know how I obtained it!

A record of travel along a straight path is as follows:
    1. From rest, with a constant accel. of 2.77 m/s^2 for 15.0 s
    2. Maintain a const. vel for next 2.05 min
    3. Apply neg accel. of -9.47 m/s^2 for 4.39 s

What was total displacement?
    What were the average speeds for legs 1, 2, 3 of trip as well as the complete trip?

Any help/guidance would be appreciated - mainly the approach and why it is so. I have a feeling it's the multiple steps that are discouraging...

Thanks in advance!

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 16, 2005 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Treat each segment separately. Keep track of the distance traveled in each segment, and the speeds at the beginning and end of each segment.

You'll need to be able to find the distance traveled and speed for uniformly accelerated and constant velocity motion. You may find these kinematic equations helpful (but it's up to you to figure out how to use them):
    [tex]x_f = x_i + v_i t + 0.5 a t^2[/tex]
    [tex]v_f = v_i + a t[/tex]

4. Sep 16, 2005 #3
    Thanks for the direction. I'll see what I can come up with!
    Cheers

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?