How Can I Record Multiple TV Programs onto My Computer's Hard Disk?

In summary, to record TV programs onto your hard disk and record more than 1 channel's program, you will need a hardware card such as the ones available from Hauppauge or ATI. If you want to record multiple shows at once, you will need multiple cards. Some users recommend using ATI's card. You also need software that supports multiple cards, such as XP Media Centre. However, some users suggest using a TiVo instead. An alternative option is using an All-In-Wonder card, which allows you to record and burn shows onto a VCD. The process may require some user input, but the overall quality is good.
Saint
Dear All,
What hardwares and softwares do I need to install into my computer so that I can record TV programs onto my hard disk?
And, I want to be able to record more than 1 channel's program.

:confused:

Computer science news on Phys.org
I would get one of these cards:

http://www.hauppauge.com/

or the tv-wonder series from ati:

http://www.ati.com/products/home-office.html

If you want to record more than one show at the same time you need more cards.

I recommend ATI's card. I have one and it works great.
Yes, you do need more than one card because you can only tune into 1 channel at a time due to the nature of the hardware. However, you will need software which can support more than one card at a time.

Anyone used XP media centre for this?

Anttech if you going to get that, your better off with a tivo

No intention of getting it, was just wondering if anyone had actually used XP media centre :biggrin:

I used my All-In-Wonder to record a show for a friend, then burned it to a vcd. The process could be better integrated (ie, no user input required), but it wasn't too bad. Quality was good.

1. How does recording TV programs onto HDD work?

Recording TV programs onto HDD, or hard disk drive, involves using a device, such as a DVR or set-top box, to capture and store video content onto the HDD. The device will have a built-in tuner that allows it to receive TV signals, which are then converted into digital format and saved onto the HDD. This allows you to watch the recorded programs at a later time.

2. What are the benefits of recording TV programs onto HDD?

Recording TV programs onto HDD offers several benefits, such as the ability to pause, rewind, and fast-forward live TV. It also allows you to record multiple programs simultaneously, and you can keep the recordings for as long as you want without worrying about them being erased. Additionally, recording onto HDD often results in better picture and sound quality compared to older methods like VCR tapes.

3. How much storage space is needed to record TV programs onto HDD?

The amount of storage space needed will depend on the length and quality of the recorded programs. For standard definition (SD) content, around 1GB of storage space is needed for every hour of recording, while high definition (HD) content may require 4GB or more per hour. It is recommended to have at least 100GB of available storage space for recording TV programs onto HDD.

4. Can I record TV programs onto HDD from any channel?

In most cases, yes. However, some channels may have copy protection or other restrictions that prevent you from recording their content. This is usually indicated by a message or symbol on the screen. Additionally, some cable or satellite TV providers may limit the number of channels that can be recorded simultaneously.

5. Can I transfer the recorded programs onto a different device or format?

It depends on the device and format. Some DVRs or set-top boxes may allow you to transfer the recorded programs onto a computer or external storage device. However, there may be compatibility issues or restrictions with certain file formats. It is best to consult the user manual or contact the manufacturer for specific instructions on transferring recorded programs.