Recording on the computer physics question?

In summary, dBFS is a measurement of amplitude in dB below full scale, and 0dB is the maximum amplitude possible before clipping occurs in a program like Adobe Audition.
henry2221
Recording on the computer physics question?
The meters show signal levels in dBFS (decibels below full scale), where a level of 0 dB is the maximum amplitude possible before clipping occurs in a program such ad Adobe Audition.

However my question is why 0 db? When 140 db is the painful amount and etc.? Why can't it be any higher than 0

Computer science news on Phys.org
well decibels are defined as [tex]log(\frac{I}{I_0})[/tex]
now, if [tex]I_0=I[/tex] then this log is 0, [tex]I_0[/tex] is the limit in your program..

Last edited:
I'm guessing that 0 dB on that program is not the same as 0 dB in the real world. On the program, 0 dB is a somewhat arbitrary amplitude which defines the maximum.

Last edited:
dB is a difference between 2 levels.
If only a single dB figure is quoted it is relative to some agreed level, in sound this is usually 0 power ie, no sound and a positive dB number above this is quoted.

It's just as valid to quote a -ve dB figure representing the level relative to the maximum measurable power.

The program shows the dB level going from negative infinite to 0. None of the responses above really tells me much. Can someone please make it clearer.

Ok will try again.

dB is the ratio between two values. It's meaningless to talk about the dB of a single level unless you know what you are comparing it to.

For sound levels it is common to set 0dB to the threshold of hearing, then 120dB is about the maximum you can hear before you go deaf.
For recording levels it is common to set 0 dB to the maximum recording level, then all recordable levels are below this and so have negative dB, in logs fractions of a number are negative.

So in a CD with 16bits of range with 0dB being the maximum level, then the lowest level will be 96dB below this, or -96dB.

Since it is a ratio you cannot have a range between 0 and a real number so if you have a maximum recording level of 0dB then an input of 0 the range will be -infinite dB.

This is a simple discussion from the point of view of recording levels.
http://arts.ucsc.edu/EMS/Music/tech_background/TE-06/teces_06.html

1. How does recording on the computer work?

The process of recording on a computer involves converting analog signals (such as sound waves) into digital data that can be stored and manipulated. This is done through an analog-to-digital converter, which samples the analog signal at regular intervals and assigns numerical values to each sample. These digital values are then stored as a digital audio file.

2. What is the difference between analog and digital recording?

Analog recording involves capturing sound waves directly onto a physical medium, such as a vinyl record or magnetic tape. Digital recording, on the other hand, converts the sound waves into binary code and stores them as digital data. The main difference is that analog recording captures continuous signals, while digital recording captures discrete samples.

3. How does a computer store and process recorded data?

A computer stores recorded data as digital files in a specific format, such as WAV or MP3. These files are made up of thousands of individual digital samples, each with a numerical value representing the amplitude of the sound wave at that point in time. The computer can then process these digital samples using software programs to manipulate and enhance the recorded audio.

4. What are some common tools used for recording on the computer?

There are many tools and software programs available for recording on the computer, ranging from basic audio recording software to more advanced digital audio workstations (DAWs). Some common tools include microphones, audio interfaces, and audio editing software. DAWs also often include features for mixing and mastering recorded audio.

5. What are some factors that can affect the quality of recorded audio on a computer?

The quality of recorded audio on a computer can be influenced by various factors, such as the quality of the recording equipment (microphones, audio interfaces, etc.), the environment in which the recording takes place (background noise, acoustics), and the skill of the recording engineer. The type and quality of the software used for recording and processing the audio can also have a significant impact on the final result.