Recreating Double-Slit Experiment (Help needed)

In summary, the conversation discusses recreating the Double-Slit experiment for a senior project and asks for advice on materials and methods. Suggestions are given for using a laser pointer and making the slits, and the importance of distance between the components is mentioned.
Jako
I am planning to recreate the Double-Slit experiment for my senior project (in HS) and I've tried searching many sites on how to go about doing this but I couldn't find anything relevant.

Does anyone know a site (or book) that would tell me the materials I need to make the experiment and how to go about putting it together?

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Er... what do you mean by "recreating the double-slit experiment"?

This experiment is done rather often, especially as a class demonstration. All you need is a monochromatic light source (usually a low-powered laser), and 2 slits that are close to each other. You can make one easily by using a glass slide and darkening it with black paint. Then very carefully use a sharp tip or knife and a rule and make two score marks close to each other to make the slits. Voila! 2-slit experiment!

Zz.

Well, I want to make the experiment so that I can carry it around and have it work anywhere basically. The whole experiment would move as a whole and all I would have to do is turn on the light. (i.e. put the whole experiment on a long wooden board that can be transported)

For the light source you could use a laser pointer. The slits are sometimes constructed by cutting into the black material (black soot on a microscope glass?) with two shaving blades held together. Personally I have created them photographically by filming two thin black strips of paper stuck on a projection screen and using high contrast, fine grain film in a camera. The negatives are then inserted in 35 mm slide holders after developing.

Where can I buy a laser pointer?

Bump. I need to get a laser pointer soon >.>

Would it work if I had a setup somewhat like the following?

Note: Pretend --- = light, and | = hair to split light. and ||| = wall

Laser ------------- | ------------ |||

?

Jako said:
Where can I buy a laser pointer?

Try an office-supply store like Office Depot (in the USA).

Will that laser pointer be good enough for the experiment?

Jako said:
Bump. I need to get a laser pointer soon >.>

Would it work if I had a setup somewhat like the following?

Note: Pretend --- = light, and | = hair to split light. and ||| = wall

Laser ------------- | ------------ |||

?

Yes, that will work. The two beams on either side of the hair will interfere and produce a double slit interference pattern. Try several different hairs and experiment with the distance between the hair and the wall. The central bands will be lost in the beam of the laser, but one should see bands to the side of the spot formed by the laser pointer.

A few people have said that the slit might be hard to make. Can someone offer me and easy/good way to make the slits?

I am also interested in doing this experiment. A question, though: does the distance between each part affect the outcome enough for it to not work?

1. What is the double-slit experiment?

The double-slit experiment is a classic experiment in physics that demonstrates the wave-particle duality of light. It involves passing light through two parallel slits and observing the resulting interference pattern on a screen.

2. Why is the double-slit experiment important?

The double-slit experiment is important because it helped scientists understand that light behaves both as a wave and a particle. This discovery has had a significant impact on our understanding of the nature of light and the behavior of particles at the quantum level.

3. How is the double-slit experiment recreated?

The double-slit experiment can be recreated by shining a beam of light through two parallel slits onto a screen. The interference pattern can then be observed and recorded.

4. What materials are needed to recreate the double-slit experiment?

To recreate the double-slit experiment, you will need a light source, two parallel slits, a screen, and a dark room. You may also need a laser pointer or other device to help create a narrow beam of light.

5. What are the potential challenges when recreating the double-slit experiment?

Some potential challenges when recreating the double-slit experiment include controlling the intensity and direction of the light beam, aligning the slits and screen precisely, and minimizing external interference from sources such as ambient light or air currents. Additionally, the results of the experiment may not always match theoretical predictions due to the unpredictable nature of particles at the quantum level.