Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Recreational drinking

1. With friends

22 vote(s)
    56.4%
  2. Alone

10 vote(s)
    25.6%
  3. Never

13 vote(s)
    33.3%
  4. Personally like the effects overall

16 vote(s)
    41.0%
  5. Personally dislike the effects overall

9 vote(s)
    23.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Jul 17, 2007 #1

Mk

What do you think about drinking? What do you think about younger people drinking? Is it healthy, unhealthy, or fun or distatesful?

And I mean alcoholic stuff, not drinking water or juice :smile: Pick the closest choice.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 17, 2007 #2
    I always drink when I go out to the bars with my friends. Usually some beers or Jack and Cokes. Probably once a week.

4. Jul 17, 2007 #3

radou

Homework Helper

Same here, only it's once in two weeks or so.

5. Jul 17, 2007 #4

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I'm not sure how to answer since it depends on how much you're talking about. I like a beer or two, but I can't remember the last time I've actually done anything I'd consider "recreational" drinking. That makes it sound like the purpose is to drink, in which case I'd say I personally dislike the effects overall.

I'd say "recreational drinking" tends to cause more problems than it's worth for any age, if I understand what you mean by recreational drinking.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2007
  6. Jul 17, 2007 #5

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Sometimes with friends, sometimes alone, and like the feeling overall (otherwise I wouldn't do it).

7. Jul 17, 2007 #6
    ^Ditto I probably do it more atm as I'm in between jobs. But alcohol if handled in at least some sort of sensible manner is generally positive for me, alone, with friends and like the effects.

8. Jul 17, 2007 #7

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm British so I have to drink (its how we pay our taxes). I normally go to the pub most nights and have 3 or 4 beers with friends.

9. Jul 17, 2007 #8
    Did you know you can either pay daily or every few days, or you can more conveniently binge drink thereby paying your taxes all in one Friday night marathon. I know what you mean about it being more or less the law, it's certainly pretty much part of our culture to binge drink at weekends.

10. Jul 17, 2007 #9

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm not fond of the binge drinking option as I don't hold my drink very well and can only take it in quantities of 3 or 4 pints at a time. I do however drink fairly often because theres always some sort of musical event on in a pub where I live. For example I know there is a buskers night every day of the week in one pub or another around Newcastle and Gateshead. So I mainly go to those.

11. Jul 17, 2007 #10

baywax

Gold Member

Everytime I collect on a contract I reward myself with plenty of beer. This can mean once a month or when you get those sticklers that adhere to the 90 day or even 120 day waiting period its a bit too much and I go out and reward myself for being patient. Then I reward myself for being so rewarding.

Kids drinking to excess appears to be a bad idea judging from the outcome I see in people who drank and I knew as a kid. Booze related diabetes, alcoholism, and generally perforated livers do not a happy camper make. Seems to wipe the memory functions out too (though they lurk in the sub-conscious). Luckily I never saw the point to drinking until later on. And that never amounted to much until... right now. Sheesh, whashts that rhinophant doing here again?:bugeye:

12. Jul 17, 2007 #11
    I guess it's just like the internet and computer games.

13. Jul 17, 2007 #12
    Drinking is fun. Don't do it a lot nor in huge quantities, but still, it is fun.

Some licker tastes good, some tastes like crap. Some beer is good (Jesus American beer tastes like piss water; European beers like Luffe are pretty decent). Love white wine; red while is all right I guess. Saki is all right, especially in/with Chinese and Japanese dishes. Only had one martini in my life, and the vodka wasn't too bad.

But mostly, beer and wine. Neither are too great to get drunk on.

14. Jul 17, 2007 #13

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

(1) I can't imagine why people would drink.
    (2) Wine fumes, and some beer fumes, make me feel ill.
    (3) I dread ever having to interact with a drunk person!

15. Jul 17, 2007 #14
    I like to drink beer. The only liquor drinks I like are captain and coke and gin and tonic. I hate taking shots, but I will do them. Can't stand wine and winos though. The only thing I hate about drinking is getting hung over. I get really really really bad hang overs. I have had ones that have lasted almost two days before. I probably get bad hang overs due to the fact that I am part Asian.

You haven't had some real American beers then. I have tried 100s of beers from all over the world and Americans definitely make some of the best damn beer in the world. There are some American beers that are far better than 95% of all German and Belgium beers no matter how much Europeans would like to claim otherwise.

16. Jul 17, 2007 #15

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I do it casually and rarely get too drunk as I don't like the effects. It would be awesome if I can just end the buzz when I get home or something. The buzz is fun when you're out, but when the nights over, I want it gone.

17. Jul 17, 2007 #16
    nah not me, not in concordance with my workout regimen

18. Jul 17, 2007 #17

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Let's remember too that recreational drinking means not getting drunk past the legal limit and not operating any vehicles or partaking in any activities that would cause danger to anyone or anything.

19. Jul 17, 2007 #18

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Well, then there is no effect at all so I don't know how someone can like or dislike the effect.

20. Jul 17, 2007 #19

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Good point.

21. Jul 17, 2007 #20

bel

I don't like beer, but I will have a glass or two of wine (usually they serve red from Bordeaux, but port is good too) after dinner in parties or like functions. I see no harm in it, and it's generally enjoyable, especially if there's an interesting conversation acompanying it. I've never gotten to the point where I can't think clearly, either. The best drink is still the very occasional glass of Ontario ice wine alone though. And not being very old, I have nothing much against young people drinking. By the way, I think there's a study that indicates that a glass of red wine a day might reduce one's risk of cardiovascular diseases, sorry I can't cite it here though, I read it quite a while ago.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?