What's Your Opinion on Recreational Drinking? Choose Now!

• Thread starter Mk
  • Start date
In summary: European beers are all right, but not as good as American beers. I like white wine; red while is all right I guess. Saki is all right, especially in/with Chinese and Japanese dishes. Only had one martini in my life, and the vodka wasn't too bad.Wine fumes, and some beer fumes, make me feel ill. I dread ever having to interact with a drunk person!

Recreational drinking.

• With friends

Votes: 22 56.4%
  • Alone

Votes: 10 25.6%
  • Never

Votes: 13 33.3%
  • Personally like the effects overall

Votes: 16 41.0%
  • Personally dislike the effects overall

Votes: 9 23.1%

• Total voters
baywax said:
Please let me in on some of the brand names of the American beer you like. I've enjoyed Olympia, Rainier and Old Millwalkie(sp).

Old Milwaukee !? No wonder you think American beer tastes like crap. Here is a list of beers that you need to try

Yeungling Lager-best big name American beer. Much Much Much better than Coors, Bud light, Miller Lite, etc.

Victory Storm King Stout-Incredible Imperial Russian Stout

Victory Hop Devil-Amazing IPA. Has been voted one of the best beers in the world before.

Dogfish Head 120 Min IPA- Do you Europeans and Canadians think you can handle a 20% IPA?

Dark Lord Imperial Stout- Probably the one of the best beers in the world. Easily.

Arrogant Bastard Ale- one of my favorites. Pours well, has good head, nice copper color, and nice hoppy flavor.

Anything from American breweries like Rogue, Victory, Troegs, Dogfish Head, Three Floyds are really good beers. There are TONS of American microbreweries that are out there making incredible beers. You just have to discover them on your own.

I really hate when Canadians and Europeans say "American beers taste like water" when they are only basing this off of beers that they have tried like coors, bud light, and miller lite. Good American beers are 10x's better than pretty much all Canadian beers and just as good or even better than 95% of all German and Belgium beers. Don't get me wrong though, there are some awesome German and Belgium beers that I really like. I am kind of a beer connoisseur, and Americans definitely make a lot of my favorite beers.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
My drinking habits are a matter of public record. I got home from work at about 6:15, it's now 9:15, and I'm well into my 6th beer. There are 6 more in the fridge, and a couple of shots of tequila in the cupboard, and there might or might not be any left when I turn in for the night. You guys are the ultimate judges of this, but I believe that I can maintain a reasonable level of coherency despite my habits.

Danger said:
You guys are the ultimate judges of this, but I believe that I can maintain a reasonable level of coherency despite my habits.

Easily. You can drink without getting drunk. I do it all the time (but of course I have over done it before). Although I rarely ever drink 6 beers at once without getting drunk, people are all different and can drink different amounts.

Hurkyl said:
(1) I can't imagine why people would drink.
(2) Wine fumes, and some beer fumes, make me feel ill.
(3) I dread ever having to interact with a drunk person!

When I'm drunk is the only time I can interact with normal people (people not as intense as me) without great difficulty. I still don't do it very often, but I've never had a bad drunk night... okay, except that one time *shudder* :cry:

Danger said:
You guys are the ultimate judges of this, but I believe that I can maintain a reasonable level of coherency despite my habits.
I agree completely. When I'm drunk, even if I know I sure as hell can't stand up, I still think I'm quite capable of thinking rationally and conducting myself (except the occasional stumble) in a perfectly sober manner. When I want to.

Astronuc said:
I find that with age, I do not like being inebriated. If I drink an alcoholic beverage now, it's usually with a meal or snack. I might have one drink of beer in an evening after work.

I have a preference for dark beers (stouts and porters), certain red wines (syrah, shirarz, Lembergers, merlots), and single malt scotch. And that is usually in conjunction with a meal.
I like having a Guinness with my meals. Fills me right up.

gravenewworld said:
Old Milwaukee !? No wonder you think American beer tastes like crap. Here is a list of beers that you need to try

Yeungling Lager-best big name American beer. Much Much Much better than Coors, Bud light, Miller Lite, etc.

Victory Storm King Stout-Incredible Imperial Russian Stout

Victory Hop Devil-Amazing IPA. Has been voted one of the best beers in the world before.

Dogfish Head 120 Min IPA- Do you Europeans and Canadians think you can handle a 20% IPA?

Dark Lord Imperial Stout- Probably the one of the best beers in the world. Easily.

Arrogant Bastard Ale- one of my favorites. Pours well, has good head, nice copper color, and nice hoppy flavor.

Anything from American breweries like Rogue, Victory, Troegs, Dogfish Head, Three Floyds are really good beers. There are TONS of American microbreweries that are out there making incredible beers. You just have to discover them on your own.

I really hate when Canadians and Europeans say "American beers taste like water" when they are only basing this off of beers that they have tried like coors, bud light, and miller lite. Good American beers are 10x's better than pretty much all Canadian beers and just as good or even better than 95% of all German and Belgium beers. Don't get me wrong though, there are some awesome German and Belgium beers that I really like. I am kind of a beer connoisseur, and Americans definitely make a lot of my favorite beers.

Thank you kind connoisseur. Actually I didn't say I thought American beer was bad. To tell you the absolute truth all Canadian beer is absolute skank to the max (as they say). Even the micro-brewery stuff. Totally green and stinky!:yuck: Even English beer blows rather redonkulously. German beer is a whole other story:smile:

I've always had a taste for the American beers I've mentioned and I now have some more to try out!

I was in the diplomat's end of Washington DC and ended up at a bar, tavern, pub in that district that had about 500 different beers on the menu. I saw some of those you mentioned but I was being treated by some friends and a few pitchers of something really good but I don't know the name.

Smurf said:

You mean Guiness for your meals:tongue2: My nephew can drink 3 Guinesses to my one... and that's where I stop because its like steak and eggs under some foam.

baywax said:
Thank you kind connoisseur. Actually I didn't say I thought American beer was bad. To tell you the absolute truth all Canadian beer is absolute skank to the max (as they say). Even the micro-brewery stuff. Totally green and stinky!:yuck: Even English beer blows rather redonkulously. German beer is a whole other story:smile:

I've always had a taste for the American beers I've mentioned and I now have some more to try out!

I was in the diplomat's end of Washington DC and ended up at a bar, tavern, pub in that district that had about 500 different beers on the menu. I saw some of those you mentioned but I was being treated by some friends and a few pitchers of something really good but I don't know the name.

Would it be the Brickskeller? The Brickskeller in DC is AMAZING! They have the world's largest beer list to choose from!

baywax said:
You mean Guiness for your meals:tongue2: My nephew can drink 3 Guinesses to my one... and that's where I stop because its like steak and eggs under some foam.
I'm often surprised at my own ability to consume. I had a Guinness today with the biggest chicken burger I have ever seen in my life (it was delicious - and the pub is just down the street from my house!). It also came with a chowder. So I ate that too, then had another Guinness. Took about an hour total. But damn, that Guinness sure is filling, sometimes it's like "Hello, I'd like a Guinness with a meal on the side"

I was thinking the thread should be social drinking as opposed to recreational drinking.

Smurf said:
Guinness is usually the beer of choice, since it's readily available. Otherwise, I'd drink Samuel Smith's (Tadcaster, UK) Taddy Porter or Oatmeal Stout. Their Nut Brown Ale is also very good.

http://www.tadcaster.uk.com/breweriesSamuelSmith.htm
http://www.merchantduvin.com/pages/5_breweries/samsmith.html

I also like Chimay Red Trappiste Ale.

I've enjoyed most of the beers that gravenewworld mentioned.

I avoid Budweiser, Miller, Coors, . . . . :yuck:

Smurf said:
I had a Guinness today with the biggest chicken burger I have ever seen in my life (it was delicious - and the pub is just down the street from my house!).
When I was a grad student, most Friday's a group of grad students would head over to the nearby Deluxe Burger Bar, which served a hundred or so brands of beer, most of which were imported. We had early dinner, which was often some exotic style of hamburger, and several beers. I usually had a pint of Guinness in the mix. There was a checklist that several of us went through at least once.

gravenewworld said:
Would it be the Brickskeller? The Brickskeller in DC is AMAZING! They have the world's largest beer list to choose from!

That's the place dude! Thanks.

Smurf said:
I'm often surprised at my own ability to consume. I had a Guinness today with the biggest chicken burger I have ever seen in my life (it was delicious - and the pub is just down the street from my house!). It also came with a chowder. So I ate that too, then had another Guinness. Took about an hour total. But damn, that Guinness sure is filling, sometimes it's like "Hello, I'd like a Guinness with a meal on the side"

Hee hee.

In Germany there's a beer called "Maltz". Its only 1% alc and its quite sweet. Almost like a Deutch version of Coke but not as sweet and nails don't rot in it.

Its primarily for pregnant mothers because it boosts their nutrients and gives them a bit of a relaxing buzz without harming the foetus. It can also serve as calming influence on the toddler (snicker) and not too harmful. Gets them primed for the 674 varieties of beer in their home town when they grow up. Diversity Rules!

baywax said:
That's the place dude! Thanks.

Im going to go down and check that place out.