1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rectangle in a circle

1. May 3, 2005 #1
    The problem asks me to show that the maximum possible area for a rectangle
    inscribed in a circle of radius R is 2R^2. It also gives a hint saying that I should first maximize the square of the area.

I set the problem up as xy = 2R^2. I decided to work on the left side and wrote it as x(2R). But, I don't know where to go from here. Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. May 3, 2005 #2

Pyrrhus

Homework Helper

You need to start up with a relationship such like

[tex] x^2 + y^2 = (2R)^2 [/tex]

and like you noted

[tex] xy = Area[/tex]

The use the concept of derivate to maximize for the area.

The standard procedure is to find a or more relations F(x,y) and then turn it into a function F(x), so you can use the concept of derivative.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 3, 2005
  4. May 21, 2005 #3
    If You know some trigonometry i.e. 2 sinA cosA = sin2A.

Solution : Since the rectangle is inscribed in a circle hence, its diagonal,D, is equal to the diamter,2R, of the given circle. i.e. D = 2R.
    Now consider the triangle formed by the diagonal and two adjacent sides of our rectangle. It is a right triangle. Hence its sides can be expressed as D(diagonal the hypotenuse) , D*sinA and D*cosA(the perpendicular and base ).
    Note : they also satisfy the pythagoras theorem D^2 = (D*sinA)^2 + (D*cosA)^2.

hence area of rectangle = product of adjacent sides
    = DsinA * DcosA
    = D*D* (sinA*cosA)
    = 2R*2R*(sinA cosA)
    = 2(R^2)*(sin 2A )
    now R is fixed for a given circle. and A may vary.
    for maximum area, sin2A must be maximum. which is 1
    hence maximum area is 2R^2.
    Note : sin 2A is 1 only if A =45 degree
    which means that sinA = cos A
    hence adjacent sides of the rectangle D*sinA and D*cosA become equal.
    This justifies that in order to maximise its area the rectangle must be made into a square.

5. May 21, 2005 #4

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I like the geometrical solution proposed in post #3,but,to carry on with the idea in post #2,i'd say the simplest & most elegant way is to use a Lagrange multiplier.

Daniel.

6. May 21, 2005 #5

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

this is a trivial calculus problem, to maximize A= xy when x^2 + y^2 = 4R^2, as x runs from 0 to 2R.

If we take the hint and maximize A^2 = x^2 y^2 = x^2 [ 4R^2 - x^2]

= 4R^2 x^2 - x^4, the derivative is 8R^2 x - 4x^3, which is zero when x = 0 and x = sqrt(2)R.

the max is obviously not at x= 0 hence occurs at x = sqrt(2)R (since on a closed interval there must be a max and it must occur at a critical point.

Last edited: May 21, 2005
  7. May 21, 2005 #6

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

the solution is also obvious geometrically as follows: picture the level curves of the function xy, i.e. the hyperbolas xy = c. if you know what these look like, it is obvious that they are symmetrical about the line x=y, and the point on each hyperbola which is nearest the origin lies on this line.

Hence if we assume also that (x,y) lies on a circle of given radius, then the hyperbola xy = c which meets the circle and has largest value of c, is the one tangent to the circle at the point (sqrtc,sqrtc).

Last edited: May 21, 2005
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook