How can I solve equations without graphing?

In summary, the conversation discusses solving equations and highlights the importance of graphing in understanding their relationships. There is no unique solution for the given equation, and graphing is the recommended method for solving such problems. The sequential nature of learning in math is also emphasized.
repugno
Can't seem to get my head round this question. Can anyone help please :smile:

A rectangular box with no lid is made from thin cardboard. The base is 2x centimetres long and x centimetres wide and the volume is 48 cubic centimetres. Show that the area, y square centimetres, of cardboard used is given by y = 2x^2 + 144x^-1

thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
The area of the base is 2x2, correct? (length times width).

There are 4 other sides to the box (since there's no lid). Two of those sides have a base of 2x centimeters, while the other 2 have a base of x centimeters (draw the picture if that is not clear to you. All of the sides have the same height. To find the height, divide the volume by the area of the base: 48/(2x*x).

Put it all together:

[tex]A_s = 2x^2 + 2\left(2x\frac{48}{2x^2} + x\frac{48}{2x^2} \right) [/tex]

where As is the surface area of cardboard used. Make sense?

Makes pleasant sense now, thanks

Hello all,
I’m having some trouble solving equations, perhaps someone could explain to me how I could do so apart from plotting a graph.

Eg. Normally I would do this ...

0 = x^3 + 3x^2 - 4
4 = x^3 + 3x^2
4 =(x^2 + 3x)x

So, x = 4

0 =(x + 3)x

So, x = 0

0 =(x + 3)

So, x =-3

This is clearly not the correct method :smile:

Thank you.

Originally posted by repugno
Hello all,
I’m having some trouble solving equations, perhaps someone could explain to me how I could do so apart from plotting a graph.

0 = x^3 + 3x^2 - 4
4 = x^3 + 3x^2
4 =(x^2 + 3x)x

So, x = 4

0 =(x + 3)x

So, x = 0

0 =(x + 3)

So, x =-3

Thank you.
You went wrong at (x^2+3x)*x=4. That does not imply x=4. We can do something similar when we have something like a*b=0, since we know that one of the products (a or b) must be 0.

Originally posted by repugno
Hello all,

0 = x^3 + 3x^2 - 4
4 = x^3 + 3x^2
4 =(x^2 + 3x)x

So, x = 4

0 =(x + 3)x

So, x = 0

0 =(x + 3)

So, x =-3

Thank you.

There's something amiss with the original equation. If you are graphing it, you need Y in there somewhere to have two coordinates to plot. There is then no unique solution to solve for X, it is an equation describing how one variable, X, changes in relation to another variable, Y, for any X you choose. With the above equation setting Y as 0, there is still no unique solution. Both 1 and -2 would be possible values of X, but I can't explain that as anything other than trial and error. If you're still solving these equations by graphing them in your class, stick with that. The reason for it is so you *see* the relationships with different types of equations. If you continue taking higher level math classes, more will be revealed then, or perhaps even later this year in your current class. In math, everything is taught very sequentially so you learn now what you will need to understand next year's class, and so on. It's not a good idea to try jumping too far ahead or you'll miss important concepts along the way.

1. How do I calculate the area of a rectangular box?

To calculate the area of a rectangular box, you will need to know the length, width, and height of the box. Once you have these measurements, you can use the formula A = l x w x h, where A is the area, l is the length, w is the width, and h is the height.

2. What units should I use when calculating the area of a rectangular box?

The units you use will depend on the units of the length, width, and height measurements you have. Make sure to use consistent units, such as centimeters, inches, or feet, when calculating the area.

3. Can I use the same formula for a rectangular box with a slanted side?

No, the formula for calculating the area of a rectangular box is specific to a box with flat, rectangular sides. If you have a box with a slanted side, you will need to use a different formula, such as the Pythagorean theorem, to calculate the area.

4. Is there a difference between the area and volume of a rectangular box?

Yes, the area of a rectangular box refers to the amount of space on the outside of the box, while the volume refers to the amount of space inside the box. The formula for calculating the volume is V = l x w x h, where V is the volume, l is the length, w is the width, and h is the height.

5. How can I use the area of a rectangular box in real life?

The area of a rectangular box can be used in many practical applications, such as calculating the amount of paint needed to cover a room, determining the size of a garden bed, or figuring out the amount of material needed for a construction project. It is a useful formula to know for various everyday tasks.