1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rectangular coil in a galvanometer

1. May 23, 2005 #1
    Good day everyone, I was wondering how would you determine the magnetic field within a square coil? My colleague and I are trying to write a lab up on tangent galvanometers, but all we can find are models with circular coils, and ours is square. Any help is appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. May 23, 2005 #2

OlderDan

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Are you trying to find the magnetic field produced by the coil, or are you trying to find the torque on the coil because it is carrying a current in a magnetic field? The latter is the usual problem one has to deal with when talking about meters, and it is easier to do for a square than for a circle. The field produced by a square coil at all points in the vacinity of the coil is not a trivial task, and I suspect that is not what you are being asked to do.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?