Polar equation to rectangular equation

In summary, the problem is to find y as a function of x. There are x and y on both sides of the equation.
Poetria

Homework Statement

[/B]
a - a fixed non-zero real number

r=e^(a*theta), where -pi/2<theta<pi/22. The attempt at a solution

r^2=(e^(a*theta))^2
x^2 + y^2 = e^(2*a*theta)
ln(x^2 + y^2) = 2*a*theta
ln(x^2 + y^2) = 2*a*(pi+arctan(y/x))

Is this OK?

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you trying to convert r(θ) into y(x)? Your title seems to indicate otherwise.

Mod note: I changed the title to reflect what the problem is asking.

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes Poetria
kuruman said:
Are you trying to convert r(θ) into y(x)? Your title seems to indicate otherwise.

Oh dear, of course. There were problems the other way round too.

Poetria said:
Is this OK?
It is not OK because you have not found y as a function of x. Both x and y appear on both sides of the equation. Is this the question that you are asked to solve or is it part of a solution that you reached following the algebra and you don't know how to continue?

Likes Poetria
kuruman said:
It is not OK because you have not found y as a function of x. Both x and y appear on both sides of the equation. Is this the question that you are asked to solve or is it part of a solution that you reached following the algebra and you don't know how to continue?

I see. This is a multi-option problem (there are several options given and I have to choose). I have tried to do some algebra to arrive at the correct one. Well, in every option there are x and y on both sides. :(

e.g. ln(x^2+y^2)=a*tan(y/x).

Poetria said:
I see. This is a multi-option problem (there are several options given and I have to choose). I have tried to do some algebra to arrive at the correct one. Well, in every option there are x and y on both sides. :(

e.g. ln(x^2+y^2)=a*tan(y/x).

I could transform it of course, but there is no option with y on one side.

Poetria said:

Homework Statement

[/B]
a - a fixed non-zero real number

r=e^(a*theta), where -pi/2<theta<pi/22. The attempt at a solution

r^2=(e^(a*theta))^2
x^2 + y^2 = e^(2*a*theta)
ln(x^2 + y^2) = 2*a*theta
ln(x^2 + y^2) = 2*a*(pi+arctan(y/x))

Is this OK?
The next-to-last equation looks fine to me. Why did you add ##\pi## in the last equation? After all, since ##\frac y x = \tan(\theta)##, then ##\theta = \tan^{-1}(\frac y x) = \arctan(\frac y x)##.

Also, the problem might not require an equation with y explicitly in terms of x. In your equation, the relationship between x and y is an implicit one.

Likes Poetria
Mark44 said:
The next-to-last equation looks fine to me. Why did you add ##\pi## in the last equation? After all, since ##\frac y x = \tan(\theta)##, then ##\theta = \tan^{-1}(\frac y x) = \arctan(\frac y x)##.

Also, the problem might not require an equation with y explicitly in terms of x. In your equation, the relationship between x and y is an implicit one.

I have added pi because -pi/2<theta<pi/2 -
oh wait I think I am wrong.

Yeah, this problem does not require y explicitly in terms of x.

Poetria said:
I have added pi because -pi/2<theta<pi/2 -
This just specifies the interval for ##\theta##, which determines endpoints for the graph (which by the way is some sort of spiral).

Poetria said:
oh wait I think I am wrong.
Yes -- you shouldn't add the ##\pi## term.

Likes Poetria
Mark44 said:
This just specifies the interval for ##\theta##, which determines endpoints for the graph (which by the way is some sort of spiral).

Yes -- you shouldn't add the ##\pi## term.

Many thanks. I got it. :)

Mark44 said:
@Poetria, take a look at our tutorial in using LaTeX to format equations and such -- https://www.physicsforums.com/help/latexhelp/. In just a few minutes you could go from writing this -- ln(x^2 + y^2) = 2*a*theta

to this -- ##\ln(x^2 + y^2) = 2a\theta##

Oh yes, I will. My way of writing is difficult to read.
Thank you so much for the link. :)

1. How do you convert a polar equation to a rectangular equation?

To convert a polar equation to a rectangular equation, you can use the following formulas:
x = r*cos(theta)
y = r*sin(theta)
Where r represents the distance from the origin to the point and theta represents the angle from the positive x-axis to the point. Plug in these values to the polar equation and simplify to get the rectangular equation.

2. Can all polar equations be converted to rectangular equations?

Yes, all polar equations can be converted to rectangular equations. However, some equations may result in more complex rectangular equations that are difficult to graph or visualize.

3. How do you graph a polar equation in rectangular coordinates?

To graph a polar equation in rectangular coordinates, first convert the equation to rectangular form. Then, plot points by substituting different values for x and solving for y. Connect the points to create the graph of the polar equation.

4. What is the difference between polar and rectangular coordinates?

Polar coordinates use the distance from the origin and the angle from the positive x-axis to locate a point, while rectangular coordinates use the horizontal and vertical distances from the origin. Polar coordinates are often used to describe circular or symmetric shapes, while rectangular coordinates are commonly used for linear equations and rectangular shapes.

5. Can polar equations be graphed on a rectangular coordinate system?

Yes, polar equations can be graphed on a rectangular coordinate system by converting the equation to rectangular form. However, the resulting graph may not accurately represent the original polar equation because polar coordinates have a different scale and system of measurement than rectangular coordinates.